Title: US West Coast to be hard-hit by Fukushima radiation
Source: Voice of Russia
Date: Aug. 21, 2013
US West Coast to be hard-hit by Fukushima radiation
An ocean current called the North Pacific Gyre is bringing Japanese radiation to the West Coast of the US. While many people assume that the ocean will dilute the Fukushima radiation, a previously-secret US government report revelas [sic] that the ocean may not adequately dilute radiation from nuclear accidents, and there could be “pockets” and “streams” of highly-concentrated radiation.
Scientists from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s (NOAA)Pacific Marine Environmental Laboratory and 3 scientists from the GEOMAR Research Center for Marine Geosciences show that radiation on US West Coast could end up being 10 times higher than in Japan. [...]
Indeed, another team of top Chinese scientists have just published a study in the Science China Earth Sciences journal showing that Fukushima nuclear pollution is becoming more concentrated as it approaches the West Coast of the United States, that the plume crosses the ocean in a nearly straight line toward North America, and that it appears to stay together with little dispersion.
The time scale of the nuclear pollutants reaching the west coast of America is 3.2 years if it is estimated using the surface drifting buoys and 3.9 years if it is estimated using the nuclear pollutant particulate tracers. [...]
“More concentrated… little dispersion”? From August 20, 2013:
Study shows Fukushima nuclear pollution becoming more concentrated as it approaches U.S. West Coast -- Plume crosses ocean in a nearly straight line toward N. America -- Appears to stay together with little dispersion (MODEL)
Published: August 23rd, 2013 at 9:15 am ET
- Study: High concentrations of Fukushima radioactive material will reach west coast of North America — “Entire coast” to be affected from Alaska to Mexico — “Can negatively affect human life for decades… should raise concern” (MODEL) September 23, 2013
- Report: Study warns Fukushima contamination “is becoming more concentrated as it crosses Pacific Ocean, rather than dispersing” — “It’s making a beeline for U.S. West Coast” — “Scientists causing panic in public” September 4, 2013
- Japan Researchers: Models show North America hit with ‘very high’ levels from Fukushima plume — Radioactive material in ocean off West Coast was up to 500 times more than expected (VIDEO) August 27, 2014
- Physicians: ‘Interesting fact’ for West Coast in new UN report, 95% of Fukushima discharges transported in Pacific; Contamination to impact N. America with ‘uncertain consequences’ for public health — Chemist: Concern over recent releases, “They’re changing in character” (VIDEO) October 26, 2013
- TV: North America will not be safe from Fukushima radiation if plant keeps leaking — Animals “suddenly died” on west coast right after 2011 disaster… Whole world noticed this strange phenomenon — “Fatally high” levels of radioactive material has entered ocean… serious pollution is ongoing (VIDEO) April 28, 2016