Fukushima Still Grapples With Nuclear Stress
The Jakarta Globe
May 19, 2012
[...] In Iwaki City, 50 kilometers south of the plant, I listened to young mothers explain how they were running, with help from the municipality, a community center to daily measure radiation in school lunches.
But when one of them, a mother of five, was asked if they also trained their kids to be on the alert for ambient radiation spikes, her brave facade almost crumbled. She said it was not for kids to be constantly tormented about the dangers of radiation — that this was the responsibility of adults. No parents, she said mournfully, like to see their children turn neurotic about every particle of air, soil, water or food around them.
On our last day in Fukushima, Akiko-san, the young architect seconded from Hiroshima City, took us to pray on the shores of Minamisoma. The city of 75,000, badly hit by the tsunami, is just 25 kilometers north of the crippled plant. Later, as we drove toward the security barriers, I was reminded, approaching the reactors, of the wounded, lying dragons in Ursula Le Guin’s Earthsea Quartet — the slightest movement or upheaval, of heaven and of earth, seemed terribly threatening around them. [...]
Published: May 19th, 2012 at 11:29 pm ET
- Fukushima Daiichi Worker: I think all reactors will be in crisis after major aftershock — We don’t have enough people to settle down No. 4 fuel pool and other reactors May 27, 2012
- Fukushima Daiichi Worker: I got worried about corrosion of pipes after seeing new video of Reactor 1 — One day pipes will break from slight quake after seeing how much they corroded in only a year — Same risk at all four reactors (PHOTO) June 29, 2012
- Criminal? Fukushima Daiichi workers told to rip open radiation protection suits and insert lead plates — “Make sure nobody sees what you are doing” — Threatened with being fired July 21, 2012
- Report: What is going on at Daiichi? Fukushima fallout increased Nov. 2-4 — Highest back-to-back days in months (CHARTS) November 5, 2012
- Deep M5 quake jolts eastern Japan — RT: Highly dangerous fuel rod removal “will not permit even the slightest tremor” at Fukushima plant November 3, 2013