Energy and Climate Change Committee (UK), written evidence submitted by marine pollution and radioactivity consultant Tim Deere-Jones, printed March 2013: It cannot be denied that ECW [Emergency Cooling Water ] has been continuously passing over […] the molten mass of fuel […] flushing a range of particulate and dissolved radioactive fission and activation products [and] transporting those various radioactive materials from within a supposedly safe and shielded environment to the outside environment. […] There can be no doubt that the ECW flows will have collected a highly significant quantity of the full range of fission products and transported them […] to whatever their end deposition site will have been. […] These fission products will have included approximately 17 actinides composed of: Several isotopes of Uranium; Several isotopes of Plutonium; Several isotopes of Americium; and Several isotopes of Curium. […] there is a wide consensus that the higher Plutonium proportion in MOX fuel increases the amount of fission product and actinide created during combustion: in particular the “activity” of fission product/actinide arisings will be greater than that of normal Uranium based fuels […]
Estimate of Consequences from the Fukushima Disaster, Jiřina Vitázková and Errico Cazzoli, Nordic PSA Conference (nuclear utilities in Finland and Sweden), Sept. 2011: The radiation released to the ocean via fallout and liquid releases has been dismissed with the argument that the radiation would be diluted in the enormous volume of the Pacific Ocean. This argument cannot be easily accepted. […] [There] is sufficient time for most of the radioactivity to be ingested or “breathed” in by fish and other marine organisms. This would trigger a never ending cycle for perpetuation of the radioactivity, which may not only kill marine life forms like it kills humans, but would ultimately end up on the tables of the Japanese population. The fish, seafood, whale meat and seaweed consumed may have concentrations below legal limits, but the radioactive content will be increased from normal levels. […] This cycle will last for many generations, because of the food chain of fish and other marine fauna, and the radioactivity will be recycled and in fact the meat content will increase rather than decreasing by decay. Even if only one one-hundredth of the radioactivity (more than 1e15 Bq of CS137) were to enter this recirculation pattern, the collective whole body ingestion dose over many generations would exceed 1e7 Sv, sufficient to kill more than 1,000,000 people.
Published: December 27th, 2013 at 2:31 pm ET
- TV: We’re talking about generations being affected by Fukushima, and also their future healthcare… How are those in charge getting away with this, time after time by just saying sorry? — What do we tell the younger generation about what happened to our ocean? (VIDEOS) August 24, 2013
- Radiation Expert: It’s terrifying how Pacific ecosystem has collapsed since Fukushima — Plutonium and uranium suspected of spreading through food chain (VIDEO) January 8, 2014
- Gov’t Report: Plutonium at 1,000,000 Bq/m3 was detected in ocean off Fukushima — “Contaminated waters will be transported rapidly to east” across Pacific — This is “the most important direct liquid release of artificial radioactivity into sea ever known” — Scientists: “Remember, its not just cesium that’s released” March 27, 2015
- New Studies on Mystery ‘Black Substances’ Released: Fuel core materials from Fukushima plant detected — Plutonium, Uranium-236, Curium discharged into environment likely in form of fine particles (PHOTO) March 7, 2014
- Releasing Fukushima radioactive water into Pacific ‘inevitable’ — Reports: Japan very aware of danger posed by past releases; Contaminants are concentrated thousands of times in food chain; At end of chain are humans “who may suffer genetic damage, cancer, other health problems and even death” December 16, 2013