Scientists Assess Radioactivity in the Ocean from Japan Nuclear Power Facility, National Science Foundation (NSF) News, December 9, 2011:
[...] a new study by U.S. and Japanese researchers analyzes the levels of radioactivity discharged in the first four months after the accident. [...]
- The release of radioactivity from Fukushima–both as atmospheric fallout and direct discharges to the ocean–represents the largest accidental release of radiation to the ocean in history.
- Concentrations of cesium-137, a radioactive isotope with a 30-year half-life, at the plants’ discharge points to the ocean peaked at more than 50 million times normal/previous levels.
- [Marine chemist Ken Buesseler] says that at levels indicated by these data, the releases are not likely to be a direct threat to humans
- “We don’t know how this might affect benthic marine life, and with a half-life of 30 years, any cesium-137 accumulating in sediments or groundwater could be a concern for decades to come”
Published: December 11th, 2011 at 9:25 am ET
- PBS: 30 times more strontium-90 than cesium at Fukushima… and strontium is “much more dangerous… this is a problem” — Researchers far from plant “surprised by how much continuing radioactivity they found” — Like “ongoing experiment” (VIDEO) August 9, 2013
- Scientists: Radioactive cesium at 10 times above normal levels detected 800 km away from Fukushima September 14, 2012
- 16 million Bq/liter of Cesium-137 in water at Fukushima Daiichi Spent Fuel Pool No. 1 — More than in June 2011 — Almost 5,000 times Unit 4′s levels March 23, 2013
- NYTimes: Gov’t scientist not allowed to publish findings that Fukushima cesium-137 levels could be 10,000 times higher than after Chernobyl in Pacific surface waters — Japan researchers pressured to downplay disaster’s impact — Professors obstructed when data might cause public concern March 16, 2014
- Asahi: Radiation levels spike to record high in Fukushima groundwater well nearby ocean — Trench failures to blame, says Tepco — Million times more strontium/beta-ray source than cesium December 14, 2013