Reuters, Aug 21, 2013: Japan to issue gravest Fukushima nuclear warning in two years-agency [...] Japan will dramatically raise its warning about the severity of a toxic water leak at the Fukushima nuclear plant, its nuclear watchdog said on Wednesday, its most serious action since the plant was destroyed [...] The deepening crisis at the Fukushima plant will be upgraded from a level 1 “anomaly” to a level three “serious incident”‘ [...] That will mark the first time Japan has issued a warning on the International Nuclear Event Scale (INES) since three reactor meltdowns [...] The leak [...] has not been plugged [...] Each one-step INES increase represents a tenfold increase in severity [...]
The Guardian, Aug 21, 2013: Japan is to issue its gravest warning about the state of the wrecked Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant since the facility suffered a triple meltdown [...] The Nuclear Regulation Authority has now said it will dramatically raise the incident’s severity level from one to three on the eight-point scale used by the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) for radiation releases. Each single-digit increase in the scale actually represents a tenfold increase in the severity of a radiological release, according to the IAEA. [...] Tepco has admitted it has yet to identify the cause of the leak [...] The leak from the tank, which can hold up to 1,000 tonnes of water, has yet to be stemmed, according to Japanese media reports.
AP, Aug 21, 2013: Tokyo Electric Power Co. hasn’t figured out how or where the water leaked, but suspects it did so through a seam on the tank or a valve connected to a gutter around the tank.
AFP, Aug 21, 2013: TEPCO said the leak was believed to be continuing on Wednesday and it had not yet pinpointed the source of it [...]
Published: August 21st, 2013 at 4:03 am ET
- ‘Absolute Shock’: Nuclear waste on roof of Fukushima reactor flowing directly in ocean — Officials kept secret for past year & did nothing to stop it — Coming from highly radioactive debris on top of Unit 2; Gundersen: Reactor pressures got so high “it blew top off” — Amount of leakage ‘unknown’ — “Fallout far from over… International fury rising” (VIDEO) February 25, 2015
- Officials: Typhoon caused significant increase in radioactive releases from Fukushima — Record levels of ‘highly toxic’ nuclear material found in ground outside reactor — Among the most poisonous substances at plant October 11, 2014
- Fukushima Plant Chief in 2011: If we fail to urgently deal with radioactive leakage, we can’t overcome the crisis — 2 years later Tepco admits they couldn’t afford to work on it September 11, 2013
- Fukushima Governor: This is a national emergency — Massive radioactive leak causes top officials to hold emergency meeting — Tepco: Leakage believed to be continuing Tuesday August 20, 2013
- New highly radioactive leak from pipe at Fukushima plant — Expert: Nuclear material may be flowing from “damaged pipes or drains” into Pacific April 11, 2013