Agence France-Presse, 11:32p:
A gas leak at a chemical plant in the Normandy city of Rouen could be smelt as far away as the French capital, over 100 kilometres (more than 60 miles) away, Tuesday but is “not toxic,” officials said.
A chemical substance at the Lubrizol company in Rouen became unstable causing gas odors that are similar to those of town gas, a statement issued by the Seine-Maritime prefecture said, adding: “The gas has an unpleasant smell but is not toxic.” [...]
In the Seine-Maritime region around Rouen emergency services were bombarded with calls from alarmed citizens. [...]
A gas leak at a factory in France left a strong odor over Paris and large areas in the western part of the country early on Tuesday, police said. [...]
A police official told Reuters that [it's] a leak of mercaptan gas [...]
A news website, Tendanceouest, said the leak was from a Lubrizol plant that makes oil additives. The website said the sulfur smell from the gas was causing migraines, irritations and nausea around Rouen.
Several Paris residents reported a very strong odor of diesel fuel.
Published: January 22nd, 2013 at 12:34 am ET
- Updates: Leak in France continues — “May take days to clear up” — Top official headed to plant — Regional authorities put together crisis team — Police in Hastings, England suggest “Vicks on a tissue” (VIDEO) January 23, 2013
- Green tea with over 1,000 Bq/kg of cesium found in Paris June 17, 2011
- Reports: Gas nauseates northern France — Smell hits England, South Kent residents warned to keep windows closed — Leak not yet stopped — Football match postponed January 22, 2013
- TV: Documents reveal radiation spike at world’s fifth largest nuclear plant — Reuters: Officials “could not comment” if documents are authentic; Report says radiation levels measured at 16 times gov’t limit after leak (VIDEO) January 3, 2015
- “Massive leak” at nuclear plant after reactors contract “small pox” — Stunning Discovery: Contagion has spread all over critical structures — Multiple large cracks found — Experts befuddled… Literally a plot similar to a movie thriller March 21, 2017