Reuters, August 7, 2013: Japan says Fukushima leak worse than thought [...] Highly radioactive water from Japan’s crippled Fukushima nuclear plant is pouring out at a rate of 300 tonnes a day [New York Times says 400 tons/day], officials said on Wednesday, as Prime Minister Shinzo Abe ordered the government to step in and help in the clean-up. [...] Tatsuya Shinkawa, a director in METI’s Nuclear Accident Response Office, told reporters the government believed water had been leaking for two years [...] Shinkawa described the water as “highly” contaminated. [...]
NHK, August 7, 2013: [...] The ministry also says it cannot rule out the possibility that contaminated groundwater started leaking into the sea just after the nuclear accident at the plant.
Published: August 8th, 2013 at 12:35 am ET
- Officials reveal about 2 Trillion becquerels of Fukushima radioactive material flowed into ocean every month during 2013 — “Deadly strontium” releases now more than double cesium — “Strontium gets into your bones… it changes the equation” (VIDEO) August 29, 2014
- Asahi: Tepco’s done nothing for over 2 years to stop highly radioactive Fukushima leak — Water above 1 sievert per hour — Admits work “has not been done to this day because of difficulties involved” August 1, 2013
- Officials have “admitted failure” at Fukushima plant — Giving up on attempts “to prevent highly contaminated water from pouring into ocean” — Regulator asks “What was all the trouble over the past months for?” — Gov’t experts worried cement barrier is going to crack (VIDEO) November 23, 2014
- Twice as much contaminated water entering ocean from Fukushima as officials claim? Japan Gov’t: 600 tons of groundwater enters ocean each day at plant — NYTimes: Tepco’s figures assume ALL water entering ocean from plant is contaminated (VIDEO) August 8, 2013
- Japan Newspaper: “The seriousness of the current situation at Fukushima can’t be understated” — Report: Unmitigated radiation is pouring into Pacific Ocean — Video: They don’t know how to stop the radioactive leaks… we’ll never know how to stop this August 23, 2014