Interview with Dr. Charles Perrow, professor emeritus at Yale University and author of the award-winning book Normal Accidents: Living With High Risk Technologies, Nov. 11, 2013:
At 46:30 in
It is still emitting radioactive materials [to the atmosphere] […] not in a gigantic form, but it’s going to keep emitting that for a thousand years or so. I think the only thing they can do with it is cover it over with cement like they did at Chernboyl.
At 54:15 in
Q: Are we literally on the verge of seeing Japan ceasing to exist as a nation — Is it this serious? A: If we have a serious accident […] or a serious earthquake, yes. The chances are we will get through it. I don’t think that it’s guaranteed that there’s going to be a nuclear holocaust from these events — but there is a high risk.
Published: December 2nd, 2013 at 4:59 pm ET
- NPR: Scientists test for Fukushima plutonium being transported in Pacific — Study: Plutonium particles found to have “high environmental mobility” — Expert: Fuel materials may be flowing from plant, “What is actually contained in releases?” (AUDIO) February 12, 2014
- Nuclear Expert: This is just 1st radioactive wave hitting U.S. and Canada; Fukushima pouring into ocean, unstoppable for years and years — Marine Expert: No sign it will stop anytime soon; Plant unstable, potentially worse than Chernobyl (AUDIO) January 21, 2014
- TV: Worries at Fukushima as radioactive materials found 80+ feet below Unit 4 — Record high contamination in groundwater near Unit 2 (VIDEO) December 21, 2013
- AP: Radioactive material spews into air & sea at Fukushima — Asahi: Exposure levels spike — Nuclear Expert: We don’t even know where 3 melted reactor cores are… it’s not under control at all; Still getting worse 3 years later (AUDIO) March 11, 2014
- Fox News: Surging radiation levels in sea around Fukushima plant — Tepco: “High density” of strontium — Expert: ‘Bursts’ of contamination are likely from water entering “pocket of radioactivity” (AUDIO) October 11, 2013