Title: Robot Submarine Seeks Oil Sheen Source Near Deepwater Horizon Site
Source: Dow Jones Newswire
Author: Alison Sider
Date: October 15, 2012
A submarine robot is seeking the source of a surface oil sheen that matched oil from the massive 2010 Deepwater Horizon oil spill, a spokesman for the U.S. Coast Guard said Monday.
Brett Clanton, a spokesman for BP, said the company is in the process of implementing the plan approved last week, which consists of surveys by remotely operated vehicles of the seafloor infrastructure, as well as wreckage and debris at the Deepwater Horizon site [Note: There is no mention of surveying the seafloor in general, only the infrastructure. See Officials concerned oil may be escaping from locations on sea floor away from BP's Macondo well in Gulf -- CEO pressed for answers].
Petty Officer William Colclough, a spokesman for the Coast Guard, said Monday that the remote-operated submarine is working “in the vicinity of the sheen” in concert with an offshore supply vessel. A Coast Guard staff member is capturing images.
The sheen was first reported by BP on Sept. 16 about 50 miles off the coast of Louisiana and in the same production block where the Deepwater Horizon drilling rig exploded. The Coast Guard, BP and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration have since monitored the sheen.
Title: U.S. Lawmakers Press BP for Oil Slick Probe
Date: Oct. 17, 2012
U.S. lawmakers on Tuesday sent a letter to British oil giant BP seeking a briefing by the end of this month on the company’s investigation of an oil slick in the Gulf of Mexico that has been traced to oil from the company’s blown-out Macondo well, U.S. media reported.
Environmental groups have raised concerns that the drilling of relief wells to cut off the flow of oil and the failure of the original well may have fractured the sediments, causing new leaks. After Hurricane Isaac struck the Gulf Coast earlier this year, reports from several coastal locations indicated the storm’s surge had uncovered mats of oil on a number of beaches.
Published: October 17th, 2012 at 5:01 am ET
- TV: Massive oil sheen around BP Deepwater Horizon site in Gulf of Mexico (VIDEO) December 17, 2012
- Newspaper: New oil near Deepwater Horizon in Gulf; BP told to check area again — Pilot: Concern it’s coming from recent cracks (VIDEO) November 16, 2012
- TV: More oil reported at BP disaster site — ‘Persistent’ and ‘recurring’ sheen (VIDEO) December 1, 2012
- Oil reported at BP’s Macondo Well in Gulf could be coming from “fissures or cracks in sea floor” — NOAA covering up? October 4, 2012
- ABC: 15 people may be missing from platform in Gulf — “Oil sheen has spread over more than a 2-mile area” (VIDEO) November 16, 2012