Cape Cod Times, Nov. 24, 2013: [Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution Senior Scientist Ken] Buesseler, along with a team from WHOI, made the first of his three visits to the Fukushima area in June 2011 [...] the Japanese are not able to locate three molten reactor cores. There is ongoing discussion of whether the cores have undergone a meltdown or a melt-through of the containment vessels, Buesseler said. “You can’t send humans in there. It takes decades to come up with a plan,” he said. “It’s bad. It’s definitely not over yet.”
Asia Times, Nov. 18, 2013: At least some of the reactor cores are believed to have melted through the containment vessels, and possibly into the ground, contaminating groundwater with unprecedented levels of hot particles.
Kyodo, Nov. 20, 2013: The Nos. 5 and 6 reactors [...] will not actually be dismantled and instead will be used as a research facility to develop technologies for achieving the unprecedented task of removing melted fuel from the Nos. 1 to 3 crippled reactors [...]
NPR, Nov. 18, 2013: [...] And then there are the three reactors that melted down, which will pose an even greater challenge. “They have fuel not just in the pools above the reactors, but in the cores themselves. That fuel is melted down and it’s going to take a very, very long time to even figure out how to get that fuel out,” [NPR's Geoff Brumfiel] says.
More from Buesseler: NHK: There was a melt-through so Fukushima fuel is definitely down with the groundwater, and that's flowing into Pacific -- Americans need to watch, it gets international very quickly -- May already be at West Coast -- No 'immediate' risk (VIDEO)
Published: November 25th, 2013 at 1:17 am ET
- AFP: Fears that molten fuel went into ground after melting through containment vessels at Fukushima — They still can’t find three reactor cores (AUDIO) January 23, 2014
- Nuclear Experts: Portion of Fukushima’s molten fuel believed to have “moved into earth” — Melted cores contacting groundwater may be cause of recent spike in radiation levels -CTV August 24, 2013
- Fukushima reactor cores may have had “Melt Through to China Syndrome” and went into the earth itself — Includes over 1,500 pounds of plutonium September 15, 2013
- Nuclear Expert: Fukushima reactor cores melted right down into the ground — That radioactive material is getting washed out into Pacific Ocean (AUDIO) January 2, 2014
- Officials: Melted fuel still leaking out of Fukushima reactor — Likely escaping from opening at bottom of containment vessel — Gov’t experts want to give up sending in robots to search for molten cores — “Disaster the likes of which has never been known” April 11, 2017