KPFA, Nov. 29, 2013:
At 2:30 in
Paul Johnson, owner of Monterey Fish Market: People are very concerned about it. I think that anytime that you have an issue like this coming out of the cold war and everything; people have brought a lot of concerns about nuclear waste along with that. Particularly here in Berkeley [California] people are all very smart, educated. People really want to know exactly what is going on. […] I didn’t expect quite as much concern from the retail customers.
At 12:00 in
Ken Buesseler, marine radiochemist and Senior Scientist at Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution: I’ve seen some Canadian data that the front edge of that plume is starting to show up in trace quantities — we’re talking about something that is 10,000 times lower than our drinking water standards [...] but it’s showing, confirming what the models predict.
[Note: Fish bio-concentrate cesium-137 at a rate of 100 times the level found in the surrounding water. For seals and sea lions it's up to 1,000 times. Source: IAEA]
And: Professor: New studies show radioactive materials being carried across Pacific relatively intact from Fukushima -- On West Coast we need to monitor these pockets of high contamination -- Parts of areas may be affected in a significant way (AUDIO)
Published: November 29th, 2013 at 11:19 pm ET
- Radio: I’m afraid impact of Fukushima contamination on west coast of N. America will be downplayed, it could impact so much — Professor: This is a concern (AUDIO) September 20, 2013
- Canada TV: New concerns about radiation levels in fish from Pacific — “These numbers are just staggering” — Contamination up considerably — “It’s a major event worldwide” (VIDEO) October 7, 2013
- Gundersen: When the radioactive plume hits West Coast in a few months “it’s not like it’s going to end” — Fukushima still pumping contamination into Pacific Ocean 1,000 days after disaster began (AUDIO) December 7, 2013
- Gizmodo: Entirely possible leaking nuclear material from Fukushima is going to U.S. and Canada — Bloomberg: “Fish contamination concerns have spread beyond Japan” July 23, 2013
- New model shows U.S. was hit by Fukushima cloud that dispersed little over Pacific — Gundersen: Authorities knew about hot particles and didn’t warn public; Could have worn air masks, instead it’s stuck in their lungs; Helicopters did secret survey along coast (PHOTO & AUDIO) December 24, 2013