Dr. Alex Rosen, MD via TEPCO: 2,500,000 MBq [2.5 trillion Bq] estimated Plutonium-238/239/240/241 emissions from March 12-15, 2011
The Real Lessons of Fukushima, March 11, 2012: Also almost all the Np-239 and Pu-239 have been carried over the ocean.
Press Conference, March 27, 2011: REPORTER: According to NISA, the stagnant water in the nuclear power plant, whether the water contains plutonium has not been investigated by the Cabinet I believe, and I think extensive investigation is necessary don’t you think? CHIEF CABINET SECRETARY EDANO: [...] the soil within the nuclear power plant premise is now being investigated. I have been reported that the measurement is not easy [...]
Ken Buesseler (Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, USA) and Michio Aoyama (Meteorological Research Institute, Japan), Aug. 4, 2012: Surface ocean in June 2011, see slightly elevated Pu -from direct discharge? -Pu removed on sinking particles, so Cs/Pu ratio increases over time (Kenna, Masque, Buesseler et al. unpublished) [...] Seafloor sedimentation is small, but important sink for Cs (Pu?)
Ken Buesseler Interview on WCAI, April 13, 2011 (at 6:45 in): As we basically cool these reactors down with seawater and that seawater leaks back directly into the ocean, through discharge canals or through groundwater, that also is most likely carrying with it things like plutonium.
Published: November 26th, 2013 at 2:38 pm ET
- NPR: Scientists test for Fukushima plutonium being transported in Pacific — Study: Plutonium particles found to have “high environmental mobility” — Expert: Fuel materials may be flowing from plant, “What is actually contained in releases?” (AUDIO) February 12, 2014
- Gov’t Experts: It was Reactor 2 explosion that released plutonium from Fukushima plant; Highest levels found over 20 km away — ABC Radio: Professor on TV said “32 grams of plutonium could be ingested with food without danger of death” (AUDIO) February 9, 2014
- New report estimates 278 trillion Bq of plutonium released from Fukushima reactors — Over 200 times higher than amount reported by Tepco — “Highly radiotoxic when incorporated into human body” as it decays August 5, 2014
- TV: Radiation in ocean off Fukushima at highest levels in years — Out of control leakage coming from plant — ‘Big spikes’ in radioactivity observed — “Surprising… Concerning… Crisis” — 1,000s of tons of contaminated liquid being released — Scientists: Japan gov’t covering up situation (AUDIO) March 16, 2016
- TV: “Discreet accidents” took place at Fukushima that released radioactive material into Pacific Ocean over course of summer (VIDEO) January 29, 2014