Press Release: Vital Choice Pacific Seafood Passes Radiation Tests
Vital Choice Wild Seafood & Organics, the leading source for fast home delivery of the world’s finest wild seafood from Alaska and the North Pacific
May 02, 2012
After the devastating earthquake and tsunami in Fukushima last March, the team at Vital Choice Wild Seafood & Organics wanted to ensure that they were taking every safety precaution possible for their customers. Addressing a growing concern for potential radiation affecting the nation’s seafood, Vital Choice contracted Eurofins, the world leader in food testing, to test their wild Alaskan salmon and North Pacific seafood for radioactive elements. Vital Choice is proud to announce that the test results proved that all of their seafood products are completely safe for human consumption.
The harmful radioactive isotopes that were released in significant amounts from the Fukushima plant, primarily Cesium-134, Cesium-137 and Iodine-131, were not present in almost every case. The trace amounts that may have been present in rare cases fell below the extremely low, very safe levels detectable with current technology. It is important to note that all food emits some radiation, because a small percentage of the elements in them naturally occur in the unstable forms called radioactive isotopes. Normally, the amounts of radioactive isotopes in foods are harmless. Following an accidental release of radiation, plants and animals can absorb radioactive isotopes, which may reach unsafe levels in affected foods. This is why Vital Choice Wild Seafood & Organics wanted to make absolutely sure that their products were not affected, and could not jeopardize the safety of any of their customers.
Randy Hartnell, president and founder of Vital Choice, made it clear in his company newsletter that these test results matched their expectations. He noted that radiation released from Japan’s nuclear plants is very unlikely to contaminate seafood harvested from Alaskan or North Pacific waters. Although none of the Vital Choice seafood is caught, spawns, or swims near the stricken nuclear plant, Hartnell felt it was important to reassure anyone who had concerns about their health and safety when enjoying Vital Choice seafood.
He says, “After all, Vital Choice families are among the largest consumers of our own fish! As far as we know, Vital Choice is the only U.S. seafood company to release radiation test results for its products. Our goal is to deliver the purest wild seafood to our customers, and they are applauding our efforts.”
ABOUT VITAL CHOICE WILD SEAFOOD & ORGANICS:
Before founding Vital Choice in 2001, Northwest Washington native Randy Hartnell spent more than 20 years as a commercial fisherman in Alaska. Today, Vital Choice is the leading source for fast home delivery of the world’s finest wild Alaskan seafood, whole-food supplements, and organic fare. Vital Choice foods are the purest available, always sustainably harvested from healthy, well-managed wild fisheries and organic farms. The company’s products are recognized for their superior taste and health benefits and endorsed by leading health and wellness experts, including physicians specializing in nutrition, pediatrics, and integrative health care.
For more about Vital Choice Wild Seafood & Organics, please visit http://www.vitalchoice.com.
Published: May 3rd, 2012 at 12:47 am ET
- Leaders on West Coast: Gov’t is “highly irresponsible… very negligent” for not testing in Pacific as Fukushima radiation arrives — Contamination of seafood is going to happen — “We don’t want to get cancer… We have a right to know if our fish is safe” — Gov’t: Testing ‘not required’ February 8, 2014
- Canadian University Scientist: Test seafood for Fukushima contamination — Continuous inputs for 2 years and counting will lead to ample opportunity for re-concentrating up food chain — Simply not enough being done on this side of Pacific August 22, 2013
- NRC email on potential contamination of Alaska waters from Fukushima radiation January 11, 2012
- Newspaper: “Patronizing silence” from officials about Fukushima contamination in West Coast seafood; It’s downright irresponsible, they are telling us nothing — Expert: “There is a real cause for concern” (VIDEO) November 9, 2013
- Nuclear Expert in California: They’re dumping huge amounts of Fukushima contamination in Pacific; “We could have large numbers of cancer” from eating fish — Newspaper: Japan Prime Minister ‘put to shame’ September 29, 2013