Title: Local program helps children receive treatment years after Chernobyl
Source: KING 5 News
Author: MITCH PITTMAN
Date: June 25, 2013 at 4:44 PM
For most of us, the 1986 Chernobyl nuclear disaster is history. But the reality is its effects linger for thousands still living around the site, which will be contaminated for centuries to come.
Two decades ago, a program was started locally to help those in Belarus receive treatment, and now Hope for Chernobyl’s Child is continuing that mission in Renton.
[...] organizers say children now are sicker than ever from Chernobyl’s lasting effects.
- Many have heart and digestive problems and they’ll be treated by doctors who donate their time
- Now over the years the Hope for Chernobyl’s Child program has helped over 350 kids and organizers say they’re sicker now than ever and they’re still looking for more doctors to help provide care
Published: June 26th, 2013 at 2:52 pm ET
- Expert: Already hearing reports of kids suffering heart attacks — Beware deadly cardiac problems in children caused by Fukushima radiation (VIDEO) September 12, 2011
- Radiation and Health Specialist: Children with over 11 Bq/kg of cesium start to see heart problems -Study (AUDIO) October 5, 2012
- Former Official: Fukushima radiation is killing children… heart problems, leukemia, thyroid — Terrible things are going on — Authorities hiding truth from world — We need to admit many people are dying, but we’re not allowed to say that (VIDEO) April 21, 2014
- Japan’s recovery from Fukushima to be measured in centuries, judging by Chernobyl (VIDEO) June 20, 2011
- Lawmaker warns emperor of reality facing Japan: “Children are suffering from health problems” — Another official reveals “the incidence of cancer in children has been increasing” and is heckled (VIDEO) November 2, 2013