Title: West Coast sea stars mysteriously dying off
Source: KING 5 News Seattle
Date: Oct. 31, 2013
Jean Enersen, King 5 News: The Mysterious die off of West Coast sea stars is spreading.
Dennis Bounds, King 5 News: The so-called melting sea stars were first noticed in Vancouver, then in Seattle, and now in California. King 5 environmental specialist Gary Chittim has more on the rapidly spreading disease, and why scientists are so concerned. And a warning, the video of the sea stars might be disturbing. […]
Heidi Ebel, Seattle Aquarium: There is a huge unknown as to why there is currently a die off happening […]
Gary Chittim, KING 5 News: They’re in quarantine […] At least 3 of the aquarium’s captive sea stars were melting. […] And the scene out there is worse. Aquarium divers found a much more serious situation in the wild population along the Seattle waterfront. […] The estimates of infected sea stars has grown from 30% to 50%-60% in just a few days. And now biologists in California are finding it too.
Dr. Lesanna Lahner, Seattle Aquarium: Something is causing sea stars to be diseased along the coast at different locations. […]
Chittim: Is it a natural disease, is it triggered by environmental factors? […]
KOMO News, Nov. 1, 2013: “We’ve been hearing reports that jellyfish numbers are higher than normal in the Puget Sound [near Seattle],” [Bob Pacunski, a marine fish biologist with Fish and Wildlife] said. “I got a sense of that this year when I was out doing some personal fishing. It’s one of those boom or bust things.”
Published: November 2nd, 2013 at 10:39 pm ET
- TV: “Like they’re melting… a lot of melting sea stars out there” says Seattle biologist — Veterinarian: It’s concerning, in under a week roughly 60% of species are sick or dying — “Same thing happening near Canada and nobody’s sure why” (VIDEO) October 27, 2013
- TV: Sea star die-off worse than thought; Now over entire West Coast; Going from one species to others — Gov’t tests ‘rule out’ Fukushima — Coincidence they’re all melting at once, or something fishy is going on in these waters (VIDEO) December 3, 2013
- Gov’t Experts: Hordes of jellyfish 10 blocks long off west coast of Seattle; So dense it’s like you can just walk on them… Disturbing when all you pull up are huge masses of jellyfish — NPR: They seem to be replacing fish in food chain — Herring disappear, mysterious spike in salmon deaths (PHOTOS) May 14, 2015
- NBC News: “Grisly disease decimating starfish populations… from Orange County to Alaska” — Scientists: Alarm as they began eating each other, then melting away — Similar problem on East Coast observed since 2011 — Now spreading at “scary” rate (VIDEO) November 2, 2013
- Skyrocketing deaths on West Coast — Experts: “Extreme Mortality Event… dying in such high numbers… such great numbers… very concerned” — “It’s so mysterious… What is going on here?!” — “Possibilities like fallout from Fukushima” — Only 2 full necropsies on 700 deaths (VIDEOS) September 2, 2015