Letter from Senator Ron Wyden (D-OR) to a concerned citizen received on June 25, 2012:
Dear Mr. ———:
Thank you for contacting me about the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant, I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue.
As you know, I visited the Fukushima power plant this past April.
Today, there is still hundreds of tons of debris scattered across the plant site, at least several reactors suffered damage to the highly radioactive reactor cores, and spent fuel rods at these reactors are being stored in compromised structures immediately adjacent to the ocean. This unsecured nuclear material could easily be released into both the air and water from a future seismic event—which would be very difficult to control.
After visiting the site myself and recognizing that the situation was worse than what reports had indicated, I contacted the Japanese Ambassador to the United States urging him to accept international assistance in the clean-up and recovery efforts of the facility. I also contacted the Department of State, Department of Energy and the Nuclear Regulatory Commission to see what additional resources and assistance our country could provide to Japan to address these risks.
To write to me, go to http://wyden.senate.gov/ and choose the “Contact” link.
Published: June 26th, 2012 at 5:47 pm ET
- Nuclear Scientist: Fukushima an apocalyptic disaster that will haunt future generations; World now an experimental lab with humans as guinea pigs — Japan Gov’t Report: Fukushima is worse than 3/11 quake and tsunami December 9, 2014
- Fukushima Daiichi Worker: Situation at plant “most likely to get worse” — “Japan likely to face a critical situation again” if Tepco remains in control July 3, 2013
- Seismologist: Could easily have M6 quake below Fukushima plant with “very destructive” result — Professor: There’s no way to stabilize fuel pool against strong quake (AUDIO) February 11, 2014
- Fairewinds: Some reports of damage at Fukushima plant after quake, spent fuel pools seem to be intact December 9, 2012
- BBC: Fukushima “much worse than we’ve been led to believe, much worse” says nuclear expert — Contaminated water is leaking out all over site August 22, 2013