Letter from Senator Ron Wyden (D-OR) to a concerned citizen received on June 25, 2012:
Dear Mr. ———:
Thank you for contacting me about the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant, I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue.
As you know, I visited the Fukushima power plant this past April.
Today, there is still hundreds of tons of debris scattered across the plant site, at least several reactors suffered damage to the highly radioactive reactor cores, and spent fuel rods at these reactors are being stored in compromised structures immediately adjacent to the ocean. This unsecured nuclear material could easily be released into both the air and water from a future seismic event—which would be very difficult to control.
After visiting the site myself and recognizing that the situation was worse than what reports had indicated, I contacted the Japanese Ambassador to the United States urging him to accept international assistance in the clean-up and recovery efforts of the facility. I also contacted the Department of State, Department of Energy and the Nuclear Regulatory Commission to see what additional resources and assistance our country could provide to Japan to address these risks.
To write to me, go to http://wyden.senate.gov/ and choose the “Contact” link.
Published: June 26th, 2012 at 5:47 pm ET
- Video: “Going from bad to worse, day by day” at Fukushima plant — “The situation don’t improve at all” January 17, 2013
- Fairewinds: Some reports of damage at Fukushima plant after quake, spent fuel pools seem to be intact December 9, 2012
- Fukushima Daiichi Worker: “We’re looking at a Chernobyl-type situation, maybe worse” -Book November 4, 2012
- Fukushima Daiichi Worker: I got worried about corrosion of pipes after seeing new video of Reactor 1 — One day pipes will break from slight quake after seeing how much they corroded in only a year — Same risk at all four reactors (PHOTO) June 29, 2012
- More Fukushima Footage Released: “We have confirmed a worst situation — Water containing extremely high levels of radiation flowing into sea” (VIDEO) November 30, 2012