Title: Senator calls for US help in Fukushima cleanup
Date: April 17, 2012
At 0:50 in
Senator Ron Wyden (D-OR): [...] It’s very clear that there are substantial health questions that have to be addressed now. I’m particulary concerned about unit No. 4 [...]
If for example you had an earthquake or a tsunami hit those particular pools, those pools could rupture and that could mean that the fuel rods could catch fire and melt down and you have radiation in the air that would be a huge challenge to control.
[...] I do think this is something that has to be addressed quickly and Tepco has a ten-year plan for essentially moving the spent fuel rods to dry storage. That must be sped up because if another earthquake or tsunami hits, it could be very, very damaging and possibly more radiation than earlier. [...]
[...] I think they made it clear that they have been able to handle much of the radiation because we stayed within the vessels. That’s one of the reasons I’m so concerned about unit four. That is essentially outside the containment process and that’s why earthquake or tsunami can be so serious. I was visiting and we were getting on the bus to go to the airport. People said oh, pretty amazing that you didn’t have an earthquake or tremor while you were there. This happens frequently there.
Published: April 17th, 2012 at 12:45 pm ET
- CBS News: “Potential ‘imminent’ threat from New Mexico nuclear waste” — Official: Risk of “substantial endangerment” to public health — 57 barrels of nuclear waste could rupture, came from multiple gov’t labs — ‘Unclear’ how many are now at WIPP — Being monitored for rise in temperature (VIDEO) May 20, 2014
- Millions of fish found dead on California coast — 3 major fish kills in 2 weeks — Unidentified ‘goo’ floating nearby; Police clear out beach, call health officials to investigate (VIDEO) August 1, 2014
- Japan Times: Many experts remain alarmed about risk of Unit 4 collapse — Structure not as strong as it was, work must be sped up — 10 years to remove all fuel from all pools? October 11, 2012
- Watch: Pilot films “substantial amounts of fresh-looking oil” in Gulf around BP’s Macondo reservoir (PHOTOS & VIDEO) October 11, 2012
- Top Official Warns: Sinkhole could go ‘a lot’ further, potential is substantial — ‘A lot’ of information has yet to come out (VIDEO) November 8, 2012