Nuclear Hotseat, May 21, 2014:
- 31:00 in — Katsutaka Idogawa, Former Mayor of Futaba, Fukushima: In the midst of all this sorrow, Prime Minister Abe is facing outward and promoting exports of nuclear power plants. [...] As a Japanese citizen I am truly ashamed […] The contaminated water from the plant is polluting the Pacific Ocean more and more. I feel humiliated when Abe lies to the world, when he says the radioactive contamination is completely blocked from spreading further into the ocean. […] I urge the people of the world to take a look at us [...] We’re living in conditions that punish us for what happened. Our dreams, our children’s futures, out towns have all been destroyed. We’ve been swept to the very margins of Japanese society and told to live there in silence. [...] Nuclear facilities bring misfortune on human kind. We all need to raise our voices and demand a safe environment where we can live and children can have dreams. We inherited a clean environment from our parents, but I as a parent cannot pass along a clean and beautiful town to my own children. This sad situation can never happen again. Please, don’t just help us, please help human kind.
- Listen to the complete interview here
WCAI, May 19, 2014:
- 1:15 in — Dr. Ken Buesseler of Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution: We’ve been saying since the early months after that there was still continued leaks. And that’s what’s happening today — both from groundwater that gets into buildings and back into the ocean, and from the 1,000+ tanks […] So there’s two sources on land, it’s hardly under control — the word that they use to describe the situation.
- 3:00 in — Buesseler: I was actually surprised by the concern on the West Coast [...] This combination of fear, and unknown with radioactivity — and that can cause cancer — and the word ‘Fukushima’ being a very horrific disaster that we all know, and no one making measurements, really got the alarm bells going on the West Coast.
- 8:00 in — Buesseler: We’re finding a larger interest than we expected as time goes on.
- Full WCAI broadcast available here
Published: June 4th, 2014 at 6:42 am ET
- Reporter in Japan: There is concern over Fukushima contamination polluting entire world, at least the Pacific Ocean (VIDEO) September 1, 2013
- “Fukushima, the world’s permanent headache” — Gundersen: It will be bleeding into Pacific for next 100 years — ABC: “Greatest nuclear contamination of the ocean in history… it can’t be quantified… it’s a global issue” (AUDIO) June 10, 2014
- Fukushima Mystery? TV: Japan expert says radiation levels in ocean too high to be explained by groundwater flow alone — Must be coming from “other contamination routes” entering Pacific — “Devastating impact” to come? (VIDEO) August 19, 2013
- Lies? Top Japan officials and Tepco all now claim Fukushima contamination is staying inside port and not reaching Pacific — Yet Tokyo scientist already revealed 44% of water in port flows out into ocean every day (VIDEOS) September 6, 2013
- Gundersen: When the radioactive plume hits West Coast in a few months “it’s not like it’s going to end” — Fukushima still pumping contamination into Pacific Ocean 1,000 days after disaster began (AUDIO) December 7, 2013