Title: Real Time with Bill Maher: Ep 293
Date: Sept. 13, 2013
At 5:25 in
Bill Maher: To catch us up on the ongoing radioactive dangers in Japan that will be coming to a beach near you, he’s the coauthor of the upcoming book ‘Fukushima: The Story of a Nuclear Disaster‘ and a senior scientist with the Union of Concerned Scientists’ Global Security Program, Dr. Edwin Lyman. [...]Maher: I go to Hawaii every year for New Year’s Eve [...] and I swim in the ocean [...] People tell me I should not swim in the ocean in Hawaii.
Dr. Edwin Lyman, Senior scientist with The Union of Concerned Scientists, doctorate in physics from Cornell U. and postdoctoral research associate at Princeton U.: [...] Hawaii’s not even on a direct path. So this year’s ok, in 2015 I’d be worried about it.
Maher: I don’t know if you’re trying to be funny — I don’t think so, so you’re kind of scaring the s*** out of me.
See also: UPI: Fukushima plume to reach U.S. West Coast in months; Measurable increase in radioactive material -- Study: Prolonged exposure for California lasting 10 years; Hits Hawaii early 2014... may already be surrounded (PHOTO)
Published: September 17th, 2013 at 4:06 pm ET
- Senior Scientist: Second radioactive plume headed to California — “Effects of Fukushima will be increasing” as front edge of large water plume arrives — Levels to rise for years — “It’s a health and safety issue here” yet no one testing ocean (VIDEO) January 19, 2014
- Senior Scientist: Plume of Fukushima nuclear material from initial releases to reach U.S. West Coast before August 2014 — Will continue for years as contamination never stopped flowing into ocean (AUDIO) August 9, 2013
- Unpublished gov’t map shows massive plume of Fukushima radioactive material just off West Coast of North America — Radiation levels quadrupled in recent months — Scientist: “We are starting to see the penetration of cesium from offshore… to the coast” (VIDEO & MAP) October 13, 2015
- NBC Nightly News: Worry at Fukushima plant — Scientist reveals “increased” amounts of radioactive groundwater have started flowing into ocean — Contamination levels in marine life to start rising — “Other countries are worried” (VIDEO) September 25, 2013
- Senior Scientist: Fukushima giant ‘ice wall’ to make crisis worse — Radioactive release into ocean from saltwater intrusion — Side effects ‘not good at all’ (AUDIO) September 22, 2013