NHK chairman’s appointment to TEPCO board raises eyebrows
AJW by The Asahi Shimbun
May 15, 2012
The appointment of the chairman of Japan’s publicly funded broadcaster to the board of Tokyo Electric Power Co. has raised concerns about its unbiased reporting on the utility and a possible conflict of interest.
[...] a senior NHK official said Sudo’s appointment might raise concerns among viewers about its reporting.
“Why will a top executive of a media organization now join TEPCO, the most important subject of media coverage, among all possible organizations?” the official asked. [...]
Yoshihiro Oto, a professor at Sophia University specializing in the media, said Sudo must explain the process in which he decided to accept the position at TEPCO.
“It will be problematic if the public believes that NHK’s coverage is biased,” he said. [...]
Published: May 15th, 2012 at 12:39 pm ET
- Chairman of Tepco Panel: “Future surprises” are in store at Fukushima plant — Everyone should be prepared for that (VIDEO) September 17, 2013
- 1-year-old named in Fukushima lawsuit by US Navy members December 27, 2012
- Prosecutors question ex-Tepco chairman over Fukushima — “Accused of being responsible for the injury from radiation exposure” January 24, 2013
- Former NRC Chairman: “We all know Fukushima had a lot of impact worldwide” (VIDEO) September 13, 2012
- ABC Radio: “Who’s to blame for radioactive fish? Tepco denies cesium contamination is from Fukushima” November 19, 2012