Title: Office of Conservation Hires Contractor to Drill New Water Well, Test Aquifer in Assumption Parish
Source: Department of Natural Resources | State of Louisiana
Date: September 5, 2012
New water well part of effort to determine extent of potential natural gas presence in Mississippi River Alluvial Aquifer
Louisiana Commissioner of Conservation James Welsh announced today that the Office of Conservation has obtained a landowner agreement allowing access to drill an observational water well between the Napoleonville Salt Dome and the Bayou Corne community, clearing the way to move forward with the project.
The Office of Conservation has selected a contractor to drill the new water well, which is intended to test for concentrations of natural gas present in the Mississippi River Alluvial Aquifer between the western side of the salt dome and the Bayou Corne Community.
Scientific staff with the Office of Conservation’s Ground Water Resources Program selected the site from a standpoint of public safety, because it lies between the salt dome and the community, and as a likely gathering point for any natural gas that might be found in the aquifer.
Published: September 6th, 2012 at 3:49 pm ET
- Sinkhole: “Declaration of Emergency” to ensure public safety after shallow gas pockets found near edge of Napoleonville Salt Dome September 15, 2012
- Officials concerned pressure may build to “explosive concentrations” in aquifer near giant sinkhole — Geologists say top layer may not hold back gas if above 75 psi — New footage of area (VIDEO) October 8, 2012
- Multiple gas pockets hit around sinkhole, operation halted — Officials order ‘immediate action’ to assess risk — “New data indicates gas is in aquifer” September 14, 2012
- Video: Experts said there’s an extreme amount of gas in aquifer near giant sinkhole — Another hole can open up if there’s a weak spot according to officials January 17, 2013
- Officials: Sinkhole measurements unavailable — Police want study of “simultaneous venting of the aquifer as the exploratory rig is being drilled” August 23, 2012