AP: A major power outage knocked out electricity for up to 5 million people…
KESQ: Callers to News Channel 3 reported a loss of power hitting around 3:45 p.m. [...] The company released the following statement: “Edison is working with the California Independent System Operator to determine grid factors that caused the two San Onofre units to trip offline as designed at approximately 3:38 p.m. Pacific (time).
San Diego Union Tribune: The most extensive power outage in California history…
AP: Mike Niggli, chief operating officer of San Diego Gas & Electric Co., ruled out terrorism but said the cause was unclear. “To my knowledge this is the first time we’ve lost an entire system,” he said.
KESQ: Some callers to News Channel 3′s newsroom reported hearing a loud explosion near North Shore at the Salton Sea shortly before the electric interruption.
KGO: Viewers of ABC affiliate KESQ in Palm Springs, Calif., have called in to say they heard a massive explosion at a substation in Coachella. Those reports could not be immediately confirmed. The loss of power led to a shutdown of two reactors at the San Onofre nuclear power plant.
CNN: “The San Onofre plant won’t be back for a couple of days,” Niggli told reporters.
Published: September 9th, 2011 at 3:56 am ET
- Local TV: Nuclear plant shuts down after “own in-house system” lost power due to blizzard — NRC: Pilgrim lost off-site power — 3 feet of snow in some parts of Boston area (VIDEO) February 9, 2013
- Sabotage: High-powered rifle used in attack on California power substation — Same perpetrators blamed for cutting AT&T fiberoptic cables — Objective was “shutting down the system” — FBI now leading investigation (VIDEO) April 16, 2013
- Virginia nuke plant has lost offsite power after quake, generators being used to cool reactors — “As far as we know, everything is safe” says NRC August 23, 2011
- Authorities: ‘Coordinated act’ against California power substation and phone services (VIDEO) April 17, 2013
- Breaking: They may have “lost control entirely of entire field” involved in LA gas disaster, and it’s coming up everywhere… We learned there’s many other leaks -Attorney — Officials: Loud sound of gas escaping heard half mile away; A “mini-Chernobyl” — AP: Leak “out of control”… amount released “seriously underestimated” (VIDEO) January 28, 2016