Gov’t Expert: Giant sinkhole now covers 12 acres, continues to expand — Growing parallel to edge of salt dome (VIDEO)
Title: Joint Natural Resources
Source: Louisiana State Senate
Date: March 18, 2013
h/t Anonymous tip, rainbeaudais
At ~11:00 in
Gary Hecox, geologist working on the issue for the State of Louisiana: The sinkhole continues to expand. It expanded some more over the weekend. [...]
It covers 12 acres of sinkhole, with a settlement area of approximately 20 acres.
And you can see how it aligns along the edge of the salt […] you can see it’s expanding in the northeast/southwest direction, parallel to the edge of the salt.
- Officials: Sinkhole could grow to 1,400 feet across — “Unusual” it’s on edge of giant salt dome, normally right on top August 16, 2012
- Expert: Salt dome may be ‘moving’ — We’ll know what’s happening after imaging by giant sinkhole (VIDEO) January 31, 2013
- TV: Giant sinkhole continues to grow, 3 acres in past week — Governor: Obvious oil sheen on top (VIDEO) March 20, 2013
- Top Expert: Fears Napoleonville salt dome to continue to break up below giant sinkhole; “An underground Mt. Everest” — Over 50 caverns inside, some with explosive gas December 15, 2012
- New sinkhole image shows ‘original edge’ of Napoleonville salt dome may be gone — Section thousands of feet tall (PHOTO) November 15, 2012