Brief large spike in local background radiation. What caused it?, Sunshine Coast Computer Club by Peter Daley, Jan. 9, 2012:
- 8th January 2012
- Geiger Counter Alarm starting going off at around 6.30 pm
- Raised radiation levels lasted until around 9.45 pm
- Sunshine Coast, Australia [Queensland]
- Wind direction was NNE at 22degrees
Equipment & Setup
- Gammascout Geiger Counter
- Alert alarm was set to go off at .50 uS/Hr, and to record data every 10 minutes
- Visual observations showed actual peaks reaching .80 uS/Hr
- Even though this chart of the downloaded 10 minute interval recorded data is not showing the true peaks that occurred, it is still dramatic
- If the maximum visual observed peak had been recorded, the peak on this chart would be over twice as high!
- The beginning of the chart would be considered average background for our area.
- Background radiation levels here, with 4 years of recorded data to refer to, has averaged around .10 uS/Hr.
- The background radiation level was peaking 8 times above average during this event!
- Either some of the radioactive fall out from Fukushima has briefly reached us, or there is some seismic activity N/NE of our location in the Pacific Ocean which has released a spike in radon gas. Just a theory.
- I was shocked to hear the Geiger alarm going off
- The dramatic drop in background reading just before the spike is also interesting. Anyone have any ideas?
- I promised members that I would post any unusual radiation data, I just didn’t expect to be doing this so soon
Published: January 14th, 2012 at 6:59 am ET
- Study: First time in history xenon-133 detected in Southern Hemisphere — Cs-137 also measured — Darwin station, Australia March 1, 2012
- Australian gov’t confirms radiation cloud over East Coast — Radiation spike 8 times normal reported — Concerns about Fukushima fallout January 13, 2012
- Australia’s nuclear safety regulator decided there is no need to screen any more sea or air cargo arriving from Japan — Dock workers concerned about radiation exposure June 24, 2011
- Gundersen: Airplane air filters coming back from Australia were contaminated with Fukushima radioactivity in months after 3/11 (VIDEO) September 23, 2012
- Strange: Pieces of highly radioactive mystery black substance cling to magnet (VIDEO) March 20, 2012