Published: March 29th, 2012 at 10:25 pm ET

Title: Canopy-Forming Kelps as California’s Coastal Dosimeter: 131I from Damaged Japanese Reactor Measured in Macrocystis pyrifera (ACS Publications)
Source: Environmental Science & Technology
Author: Steven L. Manley and Christopher G. Lowe, Department of Biological Sciences, California State University
Publication Date (Web): March 6, 2012

INTRODUCTION

[...] Projected paths of the radioactive atmospheric plume emanating from the Fukushima reactors, best described as airborne particles or aerosols for 131I, 137Cs, and 35S, and subsequent atmospheric monitoring showed it coming in contact with the North American continent at California, with greatest exposure in central and southern California. Government monitoring sites in Anaheim (southern California) recorded peak airborne concentrations of 131I at 1.9 pCi m−3 from a baseline of zero. [...]

Read the abstract here

More from study: *Developing* New University Study: Fukushima release estimates should be increased, especially for cesium-137

More about California radiation exposure after Fukushima:

Published: March 29th, 2012 at 10:25 pm ET

1. 40,000,000 Bq of iodine-131 in a single bed of kelp off Southern California — Amount most likely larger March 30, 2012
  2. Professor: “Reports of radiation in kelp just north of California” — Signs of Fukushima contamination expected to start “really arriving strongly” this year January 21, 2014
  3. Southern California had 2,500 Bq/kg of iodine-131 in seaweed — Over 500% higher than other tests in U.S., Canada March 30, 2012
  4. UPI: Fukushima plume to reach U.S. West Coast in months; Measurable increase in radioactive material — Study: Prolonged exposure for California lasting 10 years; Hits Hawaii early 2014… may already be surrounded (PHOTO) August 28, 2013
  5. Report: Manure with 255 CPM bought in Southern California (VIDEO) September 8, 2011

60 comments to Study: Fukushima radiation plume contacted North America at California ‘with greatest exposure in central and southern California’

• itsfukncommunism itsfukncommunism

OOPS THEY FORGOT PLUTONIUM
    /FIXED!

——————

sure hope the responsible parties got the "werd" out in time so that people could take what action they could to mitigaye exposure.
    …What do you mean they "didn't"????

——————

BTW when "THEY"<AHOLES, SAY "Unprecedented Spike: 1501 atoms of radioactive sulfur per meter³ was detected in California air"
    I think we can go with PLUTONIUM on that one,jussayin'

• itsfukncommunism itsfukncommunism

REMOVED

[MODERATOR: It appears you are new here. Welcome. However, please tone it down. The psychopath/child killer comments are not helping the situation. Let's try and have a level-headed conversion.]

• itsfukncommunism itsfukncommunism

REMOVED, see above

• NoNukes NoNukes

I smelled sulfur in San Francisco today, March 29 2012.

Will we hear about that in 2013?

• TheBigPicture TheBigPicture

California got pummeled in 2011. Was horrible. And news on this is just the tip of the iceberg.

• bleep_hits_blades

I'd like to see the comments here made in more or less standard English, with accepted spellings, etc., rather then 'neologisms' and strange writing style that seems more to be trying to get attention than trying to communicate or seek information.

For one thing, if I can take the liberty of speaking for most of us, believe we need to think in terms of the impression we are making to newcomers to the website. We don't want people to get turned off by sophomoric, idiosyncratic, flippant, etc., style and content.

This website has the potential to educate a lot of people. It is the best website online about Fukushima and the on-going problem/crisis.

We want people to see that when they visit the site, and to return to the site and tell their friends about it – to take us seriously, in a word, because I at least think this website has the potential to educate people and attract a very wide audience.

• Bleep, agree 100%. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but the doomsday broken english types certainly do not add to the sites credibility. Also the posters credibility is put into question as it seems the more blatant attempts at shilling have failed and whatever shills still trying must come up with more subtle ways to attack this great web site. Time will tell as I find the "Way Outs" don't stay for long. Remember the dude posting in encryptic characters claiming he was scared of monitoring? Forget his name.
      There are very sane logical reasons for shutting nuclear down, brought forth by very sane and logical people.

• ENENews

Thanks for the great comments. Please continue pointing this out to others in the future. This site is made up of all of us so let's make it the best we can.

• itsfukncommunism itsfukncommunism

I whole heartedly agree, but let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater here. "The nail that sticks out" etc… ;)

• CaptD CaptD

Great suggestions, I agree…
      Who needs phobogers*?

* Phobogger
      A Phony Blogger, someone that is getting paid and or promoting Spin to disrupt a blog discussion.

• I think the whole west coast from Canada to Mexico got hit. The higher readings in central and southern Cali could be a combination of Fuki and San Onofre nuclear plant.

• BreadAndButter BreadAndButter

"…concentrations of 131I at 1.9 pCi m−3 from a baseline of zero. [...]".
    1.9pCi m-3?
    What's that in Bq? Does anyone know?

• itsfukncommunism itsfukncommunism

I think we lost a country…
    Just wanna talk about something, say the 40,000 microsievert thyroid dose for children in cali was a done on the premise of 25% rod melt of reactor one, "which I think it was and of course lowballed in time length of release" would it not be pie in the sky to postulate four times that is a good assumption for a whole reactor release…=160,000 minimum, then times that by four reactors 640,000 but since this is special stuff and 3' fuel pool kissed the sky and reactor four's fuel pool was well stocked and prolonged uncontrolled ongoing releases I wouldn't have a hard time fudging that number to 1-2 million microsievert thyroid dose for children, now, what would/does that mean?

• itsfukncommunism itsfukncommunism

I also think that if that sneaky iodine 131 had a halflife more like cesium it would pile up on itself to the tune of 200,000 bq/L or kg in land or in water in the us, basing my assumptions that chernoble was found in the rain in the u.s during it's peak to be over 1000 pci/L and as a 1 month emissivity event for simplification purposes, sidenote, funny thing how those high numbers were found in the rain back then and today with who the hell knows how many open air reactors "here's lQQkn at you Daini" our rain data can't get much over 100pci/L according to radnet data.

• irradiatedinbako

Does anyone have any idea where to find historic radioactivity readings graphs data etc. pre Fuku?

Who would we petiton for them? Or will Californians need to wait for a FOIA ..

*sarcasm intended* 30 years after we have died?

Thanks.

Bako

• vital1

Look at this chart for Bakersfield CA, from December2011 to March 2012.

This huge off the chart.

People should have been warned to stay indoors, plus told how to protect their family and children. Criminal the US population was told everything was fine.

——————————————————-
    Get the message out there on how serious the Fukushima nuclear disaster is quickly, and efficiently. You don’t need to explain anything just distribute the lifesaver.pdf (or create your own), hand it out, mailbox it, or email it. Put it everywhere, libraries, notice boards, web pages, forums, Facebook, and tweet! Think outside the box.

Geiger Counter Use Guide

• Replacant Replacant

I agree we need to keep letting everyone we know about whats going on, though I am getting discouraged as every time I mention Fukushima I get the "oh is that still going on? I thought that was over". Yes radiation just goes away, thats why cancer rates in Nevada are so much higher, because the radiation from the atomic tests in the 50's just went away.

I live in Southern California and am very concerned about how much worse the fallout is being reported now, a year later. Incredible that Japan, Canada and the US are all lying to their people and risking lives by not taking the minimal precautions then or now to safe guard the food supply. Is it too late to move to South America?

• vital1

Everyone is going to have to become proactive.

You can't rely on your government to do the right thing. You should all have realized this by now!

My Suggestions,

Inform as many people as you can. The handout flyer, in my post above, is a great way to do this, you just distribute it. No need to waste lots of energy in conversations that may be futile anyway. If we can get a mass movement going, change will happen!

Purchase A Geiger counter that can detect alpha, beta and gamma radiation, and learn how to use it properly. Download the basic guide in my post above.

Learn dietary systems that can help eliminate radiation contamination from your body. Here is a good starting point.

Set up a local community radiation monitoring system, and early warning system. Send out emails on the contact list, when an event happens.

Here is what I have created for our local community.

Get your family up to speed on what they should be doing to protect themselves. Concentrate on those who are willing to listen.

You may have to consider moving, if these highly radiative clouds keep coming through from Japan.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

• vital1

"Setting up a local community radiation monitoring system, and early warning system. Send out emails on the contact list, when an event happens."

Phoning may be better if you can organize a group of people to call everyone when a high radiation event is detected.

Refer them back to a web site for updates.

Have procedures to follow that everyone in the group has agreed to, depending on the threat level.

• obewanspeaks obewanspeaks

I have to agree with many of the comments here and we must all be civil in this ongoing discussion and discovery process.

The world now has a major invisible radiation contamination problem.

Yes it does negatively effect the health of all biological life forms.

This argument is no longer up for any discussion since this fact has already been proven.

It is time to speak firmly and Truthfully about what is known about the negative effects of Man Made Radiation Contamination and spread these Truths and any other disaster news about this Nuclear Industry in practice.

Shine the Brightest Light you can on the Truth!

We owe our time and energy to all those that have died in the past from the very beginning of this Nuclear Industry folly and to all those that will suffer and continue to die from the recent worldwide bomb tests, processing, meltdowns and this most recent disaster in Fukushima, Japan.

These topics, threads, comments and discussions are only good if they are sent out for the entire world to experience and visualize. We must all be vigilant in spreading this Bright Light on this Nuclear Industry. A very young 60 year old destructive industry.

We all have had those friends that think we are crazy, as we send out our information and links to powerful truthful knowledge, about how bad Nuclear Radiation Contamination is for our human health and Mother Earth.

Bottom line is who cares what people think?

Send the Messages of Truth anyways and then keep sending the Truth and be relentless.

Then do it all over again.

They say the squeaky wheel gets the grease and we need it by the ton since we are all pissed by the truths we have found.

We should be upset and rightfully so, but we can and must grease our opposition wheels with Constant Truth.

All of us have been lied to since the day we were born by everybody and its time to correct this situation and we must and can do it quickly!

• milk and cheese milk and cheese

Remember too that the radiation in the water affects the creatures that live in the kelp, eat the kelp…and make our oxygen.
    I keep hearing people saying 'we must do something'. There is little we can do except enjoy the time we have left.
    I am very sorry for my friends in Southern California, with whom I have discussed nothing. What should I tell them? Quit their jobs, move somewhere else? There is 'nowhere else' and we have all been irradiated by now.

• Anthony Anthony

I hear you milk and cheese…. I too have been consciously resigned (positively) to live my life as I dream it to be. That`s all I feel at the moment that I have time to do. I already have health issues which theoretically put me at odds with radiation anyways so I am grateful to this point I appear to be surviving okay. I try to ask everyone here what they think about Fuku…and I can see at this stage I cant *save* anyone (never mind myself!).

My greater concern is my lack of future vision I have about the impending and inevitable collapse of the SFPs….THEN I think I'm gonna really stress out…I mean there is being poisoned and then there will be the circulation of the SFPs nasties…. I mean, then what?

Then what?

• stopnp stopnp

I try to turn my friends onto this site as often as possible. Especially in so Cal. I used to live in San Clemente. My buddy got married on the beach north from San Onofre npp. I used to be in that ocean often. Anyways, I try to bring this to my friends attention out there. Very few of them want to hear it. I will continue to point them here and to the other great blogs and websites I have found. This is sickening btw. It boggles the mind to think that people support nuclear power. Less and less are though :) I just hope it's not too late

• obewanspeaks obewanspeaks

milk and cheese,

My advice would be to not to consume milk and cheese since these two products are loaded with radiation contamination. I would let your friends know these facts too!

Just because we have all been radiated, does not mean we should not tell people the truth about what is going on concerning the Fukushima fallout. A real friend always shares the truth.

What got all of us into this mess was that the truth was not being told or shared and look where we are now. The entire world has a Nuclear Nightmare still approaching rapidly. An invisible black plague that will continue to damage to all biological life for many years to come.

You must warn those you know in Southern California armed with the truth and then allow them to act accordingly. If they move, they move. If they don't move, they don't move. At least they will be able to make an informed decision one way or the other. Its really their choice what to do and your role is only to be the messenger carrying the bright light of truth.

Cancer and similar radiation contamination diseases are now an epidemic and unless we discuss the causes and solutions these disease patterns will only get much worse in the future.

We must all confront our known reality head on and then get directly in the face of those that detract from our spreading our reality quest. Sharing and caring is not a bad attribute to have and its often appreciated by others.

So a friend warns other friends and then attempts find solutions to help weather the bad storm approaching. The radiation is already here and more may be on the way, that is a fact.

There are plenty of links with suggestions on how to reduce and or lesson the risk of this exposure through diet. There are clear suggestions on what foods to avoid and why during times like this. There are procedures for staying out of rains and taking other precautions etc..

All of these can be shared.

You can take your friends to water but you can't make…

• obewanspeaks obewanspeaks

…them drink!

• StillJill StillJill

Speak,….we,…MUST!

It,,,,,,is,….a,…moral,…issue!

Shoot,….me,….if,…you,,,,,wish.

(It's,….still,,,,TRUE!)

• milk and cheese milk and cheese

I am called Milk and Cheese for ironic reasons. I never touch milk, though I like the occasional good cheese.

My friends won't want to hear this, and there is no need to panic them.

• obewanspeaks obewanspeaks

Then there you go.

You already made your decision.

If they live in Southern California they at least must know what is going on at San Onofre and all the past constant radiation contamination leaks.

The corroded pipe issues and current plant shut down must have made the local news.

Your friends have enough to worry about now, just based on their own local "USA" San Onofre Nuclear Plant's negative and speculative poor operations practice.

Now friends have something in common and I am not sure it should be called panic.

The Common denominator is Nuclear Radiation Contamination releases going on everywhere.

Good Luck handling and discussing these truths!

The truth is now everywhere around you and your friends living in Southern California.

Probably best not to ignore its glaring bright light!

• irradiatedinbako

I sent a link to this headline to the Los Angeles Times as suggestion for story or news tip. Briefly explained that it had received high viewing traffic here and was authored by scientists at Cal State Long Beach.

Here's the link to send if others are so inclined to do same. Would suggest keeping rhetoric or editorialism out so request is viewed seriously. Perhaps if enough suggest they will investigate further.

Bako

• I was so inclined. It was easy. :)

ChasAha
      Tulare County California
      (just north of Bako)

• irradiatedinbako

Howdy Neighbor Chas!

Thank you. Hope others do the same .. even non Californians. You don't have to leave any personal info if you don't want to. Can be anon.

Regards,
        Bako

BTW know your area from several years playing in Tulare County Symphony.

• CaptD CaptD

I also suggest that everyone CC Senator Boxer who is the Chair of the Senate Oversight Board for the NRC; if you do not want to fill out her online form then phone her office and ask for a staffer's email address:
    DC (202) 224-3553

Don't forget to ask for a reply, those emails are a great way to keep her feet to the fire on what is going on with the NRC because you can then add more info, new links and questions to get yet another reply…

If each of us sent in an email or made a phone call for every 5 comments then they would be flooded with them!

• Sorry for all there in lovely Ca. RIP !