Journalist from Switzerland: I talked to some marine biologists a few days ago and they told me that in their samples they see a change in the mix of radionuclides. They’re saying proportionally there’s more and more strontium, not just cesium. The food checking here is purely on cesium, under the assumption there is very little else. But are the Japanese authorities actually measuring the right thing if they’re only focusing on cesium? Or are we getting in our food strontium and I don’t know what else which is simply not measured?
Yukiya Amano, IAEA: Sorry I don’t have the exact answer now. My recollection is that they are monitoring strontium, but the sea monitoring by various agencies in Japan, I do not know. I can’t give you an exact answer which Japanese agencies are monitoring strontium and if they do, in which depth and width. I do not want to mislead you. Sorry I don’t have the exact answer for now.
Journalist: Do you recommend doing it?
Amano: We are recommending the Japanese authority to follow the standard set by the IAEA […] but to be honest I do not know exact facts about this strontium monitoring for now.
See also: [intlink id="senior-scientist-100-times-more-strontium-than-cesium-in-water-at-fukushima-plant-strontium-gets-into-your-bones-it-changes-the-equation-for-japanese-fisheries-not-too-concerned-u-s" type="post"]Senior Scientist: 100 times more strontium than cesium in water at Fukushima plant — “Strontium gets into your bones… it changes the equation”[/intlink]
Published: March 21st, 2014 at 9:11 pm ET
- PBS: 30 times more strontium-90 than cesium at Fukushima… and strontium is “much more dangerous… this is a problem” — Researchers far from plant “surprised by how much continuing radioactivity they found” — Like “ongoing experiment” (VIDEO) August 9, 2013
- Officials reveal about 2 Trillion becquerels of Fukushima radioactive material flowed into ocean every month during 2013 — “Deadly strontium” releases now more than double cesium — “Strontium gets into your bones… it changes the equation” (VIDEO) August 29, 2014
- Senior Scientist: 100 times more strontium than cesium in water at Fukushima plant — “Strontium gets into your bones… it changes the equation” — Not “too” concerned U.S. fish will be affected August 7, 2013
- Strontium reaches 500 Billion Bq/m³ in basements at Fukushima — Record levels reported at 5 locations near ocean — U.S. Senior Scientist: “We see strontium becoming more of concern… food chain will have to be studied more carefully” June 3, 2014
- Asahi: Radioactive contamination ‘soaring’ in Fukushima groundwater — Strontium and other beta emitters up 4,500% in recent days; Cesium rises nearly 1,500% — Tepco says it doesn’t know why levels spiked (VIDEO) August 6, 2013