Title: Call for caution on Fukushima effects
Source: The Australian
Author: by: Rick Wallace
Date: September 01, 2012 12:00AM
The symposium [in Tokyo organised by the International Physicians for the Prevention of Nuclear War] heard claims that the Fukushima disaster [...] could see a spike in birth defects, heart and pancreas problems and diabetes.
The symposium heard criticism of the Japanese government’s decision to centre its health response on a limited program of thyroid checks for children, and its failure to assist with evacuation for people in areas with radiation levels close to, but not exceeding, the 20mSV level.
Japanese MP Ikuko Tanioka, who quit the ruling Democratic Party of Japan in disgust over its handling of the post-disaster clean up, told the symposium Russian authorities had done more for their citizens in the wake of Chernobyl than Japan had post-Fukushima.
Greenpeace Japan co-chair Komei Hosokawa – who is involved in citizen-led radiation monitoring – said Japan was like a developing country in terms of its disclosure of information, democratic processes and the role of civil organisations.
Most speakers at the symposium – especially the Japanese presenters – called for more international research to be done on Fukushima to prevent the government from disguising or burying any health effects due to radiation.
Interesting quote from article: “Someone spoke about checking their lungs – I mean, what for? Low (level) radiation is not going to do anything to your lungs” -Radiologist Peter Karamoskos, member of nuclear body ARPANSA’s radiation health committee [Australia]
Published: August 31st, 2012 at 2:09 pm ET
- TV: 200% as many radioactive products returned to Japan this year than in 2011 says Russian report (VIDEO) November 7, 2012
- Gundersen: Fukushima plume went down on ground, unlike Chernobyl — Due to ‘building wake effect’ — Radiation exposure going to be higher for people nearby (AUDIO) February 25, 2013
- Russian Study: Fukushima released 100 quadrillion becquerels of cesium into atmosphere… In just ONE day — About equal to Chernobyl’s total release August 29, 2013
- Gundersen: We’re getting reports from Japan of deformed children, troubled pregnancies after Fukushima (AUDIO) February 25, 2013
- NHK: Japan gov’t gave SPEEDI radiation forecasts to US military, NOT own citizens January 16, 2012