(Subscription Only)Title: Flimsy waste tanks cause new delay in Fukushima plant decontamination
Source: THE ASAHI SHIMBUN
Date: December 26, 2012
Tanks designed to hold radioactive filtrate at the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear plant are proving too fragile to be used, and the operator has announced a further delay in starting up machinery that cleans contaminated water.
[... It was] to begin operation at the plant in September.
[...] they are unable to predict when the equipment may finally come online.
The vessels are hoisted and lowered as they are filled and replaced by empty containers. In the event of an accident, they need to be strong enough to withstand a fall without releasing their radioactive contents.
TEPCO confirmed that the vessels could sustain a fall from a height of 6 meters in an upright position. But tests found the tanks were breaking and spilling their contents when dropped on from a height of only 3 meters in an upside-down position. [...]
Published: December 26th, 2012 at 9:28 pm ET
- New York Times: “Potential for huge spill” of highly radioactive liquid from many Fukushima tanks all at once, says nuclear design expert — Top Officials: Leaks from more tanks are “the biggest concern… We are extremely concerned” August 21, 2013
- Anonymous Official: Tank at Fukushima may have leaked tons of highly radioactive liquid every day for a month… “We didn’t detect it for as long as 30 days” — Spokesman: Leakage is continuing… Other tanks may be affected August 20, 2013
- ‘Water Storage Nightmare’: Bolts in Fukushima tanks will corrode in just a few years, plant workers reveal — “Tepco says it doesn’t know how long tanks will hold” -Reuters July 31, 2013
- Gundersen: Fukushima tanks releasing x-rays in very high quantities offsite — Exposure to people outside plant is very, very high from ‘Bremsstrahlung’ phenomenon — Hundreds of tanks could easily start leaking after quake (VIDEO) July 22, 2013
- Asahi: ALL radioactive water storage tanks at Fukushima Daiichi leaking? “We are giving priority to the No. 2 tank, whose conditions are worse” April 8, 2013