Title: The Reality of Fukushima- A Japanese Lawer Speaks at UN
Source: WorldNetworkChildren (World Network for Saving Children from Radiation)
Filmed by: Independent Web Journal
Edited by: The Fukushima Collective Evacuation Trial
Date Published: Jan 25, 2013
At 0:15 in
Toshio Yanagihara at the United Nations Human Rights Council, NGO Information Meeting: Today, together with my friends, I am here to ask you to think about the people, especially the children, who are trapped in high radiation areas after the nuclear accident at the Fuksuhima Daiichi plant.
Today I am here to request you take a significant step as the UN Human Rights Council to rescue these trapped people.
At 6:30 in
Yanagihara: Please take a look at this map of Koriyama City, [pop. 336,000] which is 60km from the [Fukushima Daiichi] nuclear plants […]
The red dots on this map indicate the equivalent radiation level of mandatory evacuation zone around Chernobyl.
If you apply the evacuation standard used in Chernobyl, most of the central part of the city would fall under the evacuation area, where the residents would be required to move out.
It is in this level of contamination that the children remain and attend school. (Chokes up)
Published: January 26th, 2013 at 8:42 am ET
- Japanese NPO: “We need to start a rotating evacuation for children as soon as possible” — “Radiation just continues to accumulate” (VIDEO) October 1, 2012
- Kindergarten students play in dirt at school that was inside Fukushima evacuation zone — NHK broadcasts highlights (VIDEO) September 30, 2012
- “Shocking”: Officials make it mandatory to use Fukushima rice in school lunches December 17, 2012
- Japanese Judge: Already signs of major health hazard in Fukushima — Kids may end up like those around Chernobyl — Urgent need for evacuation (VIDEO) February 5, 2013
- School playground staircase has radiation at 70 times maximum allowed, far from evacuation zone — Equal to 69 millisieverts per year August 29, 2011