Title: Nearly 36pc of Fukushima children diagnosed with abnormal thyroid growths
Author: By Julian Ryall
Date: 6:14AM BST 19 Jul 2012
Nearly 36 percent of children in Fukushima Prefecture have been diagnosed with abnormal growths on their thyroids, although doctors insist there is no link between the “cluster” of incidents and the disaster at the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear plant in March of last year.
A study by the Japan Thyroid Association in 2001 found that zero percent of children in the city of Nagasaki had nodules and only 0.8 percent had cysts on their thyroids.
“Yes, 35.8 percent of children in [The Sixth Report of Fukushima Prefecture Health Management Survey, released in April] have lumps or cysts, but this is not the same as cancer,” said Naomi Takagi, an associate professor at Fukushima University Medical School Hospital, which administered the tests.
“We do not know that cause of this, but it is hard to believe that is due to the effects of radiation,” she said. “This is an early test and we will only see the effects of radiation exposure after four or five years.”
- Radio: "Something new in the history of medicine is happening at Fukushima" says physician -- 30% of children tested had thyroid lumps -- "Now that's really early, that's within the first year, that's unheard of" (AUDIO)
- Now 35.8% of Fukushima children have thyroid cysts or nodules -- 13,646 do and 24,468 don't
- Just 0.8% of children in 2001 Japanese control group had thyroid cysts or nodules -- 36% in Fukushima study
Published: July 19th, 2012 at 5:34 am ET
- Now 35.8% of Fukushima children have thyroid cysts or nodules — 13,646 do and 24,468 don’t July 15, 2012
- Report: Now over 44% of Fukushima children have thyroid abnormalities in latest tests February 14, 2013
- Gov’t Advisor: Results of children’s tests may point to an elevated incidence of abnormal thyroid function March 22, 2012
- Just 0.8% of children in 2001 Japanese control group had thyroid cysts or nodules — 36% in Fukushima study July 15, 2012
- Fukushima Mothers: Daughter has so many thyroid cysts doctor can’t count them all — Hospital told not to test kids November 5, 2012