Temperature of No. 4 pool rising nearly twice as fast as rate reported by Tepco

Published: June 30th, 2012 at 5:15 pm ET

>> UPDATED: Tepco: Cooling system back on at Spent Fuel Pool No. 4 <<

“The cooling system [...] suspended operation Saturday [...] at around 6:25 a.m. [...] The water temperature of the pool was 31 C at the time of the suspension” -Kyodo

“The temperature of the pool rose 0.26 C per hour by late Saturday afternoon, according to the utility.” -Marketwatch

Jiji reported both of the pumps stopped, UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) has gone out of order. The water temperature was 36.6 C at 18:00 of 6/30/2012.” -Fukushima Diary

In 11.5 hours the temperature rose from 31 C to 36.6 C, or 5.6 C. This is a rate of 0.487 C per hour, nearly double the 0.26 C that Tepco reported.

If temperature continues rising at 0.487 C per hour:

• Saturday at 18:00 JST: 28.4 degrees until safety limit reached
  • A 28.4 degree increase will take 58 hours and 20 minutes if rising at 0.487 C per hour
  • 58 hours and 20 minutes from 18:00 JST on Saturday = Safety limit reached Tuesday morning around 4:00a JST

Interesting that the above result of Tuesday morning is the same reached in the Marketwatch report (“could reach… upper limit… on Tuesday morning”) where the 0.26 C per hour increase rate was used vs. the 0.487 C used above.

Published: June 30th, 2012 at 5:15 pm ET

1. WSJ: Temperature rising at No. 4 fuel pool — Safety limit to be exceeded Tuesday morning? June 30, 2012
  2. Tepco Press Conference: Temperature rises at No. 4 Spent Fuel Pool, now around 50°C April 13, 2012
  3. Temperature spikes in No. 4 fuel pool after pump burns — Backup also breaks June 6, 2012
  4. Temperature rising in No. 4 spent fuel pool despite increased water injections (VIDEO) April 25, 2011
  5. No. 4 fuel pool temperature began spiking June 2 — No daily ‘Plant Status’ reports from Tepco since June 6, 2012

118 comments to Temperature of No. 4 pool rising nearly twice as fast as rate reported by Tepco

• The German

Ok guys fasten the seatbels lets take another round in this rollercoaster

• CB CB

This appears planned.

• vivvi

Isn't that nice … the uninterruptable power supply is broken. Is that like the unsinkable titanic?

• Gaffney

So that's 7pm GMT time or 2pm EST on Monday.

• Lee Binder

Time to pray (even more) .. nothing more we can do, right? (apart from joining the crowd next week, complaining 'if only we had known – we would have helped to avoid Armageddon – somehow ..' – which will not help, either ..)

Putting all the pieces of the puzzle together, the probability that living beings (roaches exempt) will survive 2012 relying on available terrestrial knowledge & technology is pretty much 0%, right?

• nohobear nohobear

This is not sounding good. Luck may have finally run out for #4. The last earthquake in the area a few days ago may have finally done it in.

For those with children, now would be a good time to make sure the car is gassed up and the bug out kit is nearby.

For me, at 54, if SFP #4 goes, I'm staying put. I'm throwing out the Lugols iodine and eat seafood again. With the amount of plutonium (not to mention other nasty isotopes) that will aerosolize and hitch a ride with the jetstream, I'd rather not try to make it to 70 and see what kind of world it's going to be.

I just hope there's a special place in hell for these greedy bastards that have foisted nukes on us.

• weepsforthechildren

Apologies if this is not appropriate post. I have the Fuku camera running and the visual is out now for fog. The sound is picking up wind and what is probably dripping condensed water (though I haven't heard that before with the fog) and it sounds like the kodama from Princess Mononoke.

• jec jec

Think they also play bird calls as well. The Webcam Forum has some comments on the sounds and the fog/emissions.

• weepsforthechildren

Ah, the sound is piped in. I wondered about that after reading about the birds missing from Fukushima. I can hear a distant humming engine sound as well, which is probably a real sound.

• flatsville

>>>The last earthquake in the area a few days ago may have finally done it in.<<<

I have been thinking the same thing myself.

Should they restore cooling this time around, I still have to wonder how many of these 5.0 +/- this thing can take before the accumulated damage from the shaking makes it wholly unsound.

Anyone with a background in structural engineering and or concrete care to hazard a guess?

• Light Sender

That's what this guy is saying here: http://www.rense.com/general95/offic.html

It's possible, everything happening now is just a cover story. The earthquakes between June 17-22 finally broke the containment. If what this guy is saying is true, the rods have spilled out.

• Yoichi Shimatsu wrote an article about this a year ago at rense.com; I found him convincing then and persuasive now. Weapons seem to be the bulk of what the US exports, a higher percentage all the time as our other industries are dismantled and outsourced. To hold onto our alliances, we send nastier and nastier stuff; mutual assured blackmail really. Considering the extent to which roads, trains and train stations were secured by military types after the initial explosions, it makes total sense to me that secret weapons development is the correct explanation for so much that otherwise seems mystifying about the events at Fukushima Daiichi, especially concerning Unit Four. I will not assume the worst until I see more, but that's just how I operate. There is much evidence against me on this one. :(

At the moment the rain we have been having seems almost clean; I am getting airborne and ground readings here in maritime Oregon comparable to the ones I get in Florida (for which I am departing again July 9; my dad is slowly dying); .07 to .13 mcSv range. Even on the lettuce, which showed me upper .20s two weeks ago. I'll keep watching.

• Of course it is about nuclear weapons. Nuclear power is all about nuclear weapons. We don't "need" nuclear power. We waste more energy than nuclear power gives us. THere is heaps of oil, coal and natural gas. Ever hear of "energy conservation?" We consume more junk than we need. Wind mills work. Solar works. Hydro works. There are tons of solutions.

Nuclear power plants make plutonium by their nature. Any nation which has one has a nuclear weapon … if they want one.

• ML

The terrible truth about nuclear reactor sites is that once the reactor is stopped, the radiation continues in some form or fashion. They say it is more expensive to shut a plant down than to keep one running. Decommissioning takes years. So they cover it in concrete, but under that concrete there is still plenty of radioactivity. And then it seeps into ground water. Like a never ending nightmare. Why let another one be built?

• dharmasyd dharmasyd

I'm with you, risabee. It's best to be cautios about conclusions. That said, I wish you a blessed meeting and, if it comes to that now, parting with your Dad.

• flatsville

I am confused regarding what I'm seeing on camera re: the demolition.

Are they taking down [ did they take down the exterior remnants of the reactor building?

That's what it looked like to me on the you tub videos.

Is the torus still in place? The concrete side walls of the fuel pool?

• CB CB

Maybe talk of evacuations should be made.

• durando durando

unless they have some new space station to take the population of the earth or a new planet setup to move to where do you evacuate to if the entire planet has been polluted

• NoMoreBlackout

CB i don't think they would ever be able to evacuate 30 million people in Tokyo alone, that to me is the saddest part we are all worried about our lives but how can you you evacuate 30 million people ? It's almost impossible it would take years and the Japanese well at least the gov't seem to be a people that accept consequences of their own actions, in other words death. But i disagree with that the children don't deserve this crap, THEY THE CHILDREN should be evacuated.

• richard richard

hi NoMoreBlackout, it's been speculated here that there will never been evacuations because then the nuke industry would have to admit to supreme, fatal, failure. the smoke and mirrors of the mega billion dollar industry would collapse and some people might lose money.

nothing will change will the mob.media.corp.gov have ultimate control of planet earth.

• vivvi

Yes, i agree there must be some plan made to protect the children. Not sure where they can go, but go they must if the japanese race is to survive. So sad.

• NoMoreBlackout

I don't think that is fog on TBS JNN cam it zoomed in so much that we can't see anything and this when the 2nd or 3rd day ? When they took down the top columns of # 4 they did it so fast in one day it made me think why ? They were taking their time for one year and a half then all of a sudden they work fast with the crane and it's Jaw of Life and din't care about all the dust going into the atmosphere. So obviously they knew something we don't and needed to take immediate action that day. Well like i said the JNN CAM is showing a blue zoom and all i hear is raindrops. It looks like # 4 is toast and then what if that's true ? Also we know or many believe that the taking of the columns down was speeded up right ? so it seems they did it the day before and when they thought it worked great they put it on the cam the next day for us to see, they are liars and now they are in deep doodoo cause if # 4 gets hotter and nobody can enter than what ? We have # 1-3 already gone and killing Japan and the Pacific and now what ? # 4 ? what are they gonna do then, move to # 5 and 6 lol this is the worst global event i have ever seen. So in Chernobyl the had 500,000 guys wearing lead suits and underwear to take care of the situation and Fukushima from what i see they have like 50 guys wearing skin thin masks. Whats scary of all is OTHER gov'ts around the world especially US and CANADA in Northern hemisphere not protecting our citizens, they don't want ppl to freak out, what a disaster

• WindorSolarPlease

If it goes Monday, when will it make it to North America?

• Light Sender

Has anyone seen this story: http://www.rense.com/general95/offic.html

It seems not only plausible but explains the black dust, the reason for the end of the live cam, and possibly why we are being told now that the coolant system "stopped working". But it also makes the shocking claim that the fuel rods have spilled out

• Gaffney

No the guy is just mental and probably profiting off what seems to be scare tactics. Just take a look at the front page, advertise here, buy emergency food, natural medicine, books, radiation protection.

• rense.com has the usual credibility ups and downs of relatively fringe-y conspiracy sites, but Shimatsu has some perceptive things to say — why rense.com is the only one providing him a platform (in English), I do not know.

• dharmasyd dharmasyd

risabee…Again I congratulate your reasoned perspective. Rense is sometimes over the edge, other times he has authors who are, as Shimatsu is, authoritative and credible. One evaluation does not fit all.

• durando durando

I just hope that the human genome can mutate to coexist with all the radiation being spewed into the atmosphere

Other wise we are going to be nothing more than a series of artifacts for the next "intelligent" species to find millions of years in the future or a side show for cosmic visitors.

• norbu norbu

I pledge allegiance to the Earth and all of the people who live on her and to the Animals I will protect, 1 planet living in Peace Without NUCLEAR POWER. I am crying now. I must go talk to my chickens and Ducks. My only friends.

• Nigwil

Do something then!
    Write to:
    Contact list for Premiers and Prime Ministers.

Great Britain
    Prefix your numeric postcode with letters; eg ‘NZ0740’

USA Contact the President
    Add zero to zip code to pad to five numbers.

Australia Prime Minister
    OK

New Zealand Prime Minister
    OK

Canada Prime Minister
    OK

China Premier
    english@mail.gov.cn
    (I doubt it that will end up on the good Premier’s desk, but worth a try.

President of France
    OK

Secretary General United Nations
    ecu@un.org
    OK

• Nigwil

A suggested letter. Anything is better than nothing. Do something. Please.

1000 characters long (some systems only accept 1000 characters)

1 July 2012
    Dear Sir!

There is an urgent need for you to turn your attention to the critical matter of the Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant in Japan.

That plant has been badly damaged by earthquake, tsunami and and subsequent loss of control of reactors and spent fuel ponds, and it has been emitting dangerous radiation for over a year now.

Japan is losing control of the disaster, with the failure of the cooling system of the spent fuel pond at Reactor 4 on 30 June.

If this spent fuel pond catches fire then the site will have to be abandoned due to soaring radiation levels. If that was to happen then a global radiation catastrophe will eventuate.

I earnestly ask that you make urgent contact with the Japanese Prime Minister to tell him that this disaster must be brought under international control before it is too late for the world.

Yours sincerely

• HoTaters HoTaters

Kevin Blanch's release for today re: #4 SFP.

I'm with him 100% notwithstanding profanity!

The whole complex is a horrific nightmare.

So, the question is, do they try to take drastic emergency measures now, or will they just abandon the plant? Tepco has been making worrisome statements about abandoning the plant.

I guess I'd better get ready to shelter in place with my family. Sigh.

• richard richard

he's brilliant and brave. he speaks for me, even with the profanity. i totally relate to kevin.

• Light Sender

It may already be too late. I read this article: http://www.rense.com/general95/offic.html and it makes complete sense of everything that's gone on since March 11,2011. Someone with a more scientific background will have to judge, but it sounded reasonable to me. If what he's saying is true, the earthquakes 1 week ago breached the fuel pool and spilled out some of the rods, which is why the cam was taken off line and they rushed to demolish the reactor.

• HoTaters HoTaters

If Rense's report is right, Tepco has just committed genocide against everyone in Japan, and quite possibly the entire human race. Not to mention all the other living things on Earth. What cowards. Do these people possess even one shred of intelligence? No, we couldn't ask for help. We have too much pride.

• NoMoreBlackout

Awesome article, i read and see vids from Rense a lot. Here's what i think, the land underneath the reactors is built on weak soil or for example Peat Bog. I lived in an island or suburb of Vancouver and they would always say (when the media was truthful) that Richmond BC is half built on a bog and if a major earthquake happens then all those houses will tilt. I think the same thing according to this article is with Fukushima Nuclear Plants, the ground is weak and boggy and that is what is causing any eq's and problems to make it worse, what do you think ? That is why the cores are sinking.

• HoTaters HoTaters

2 Richard, yes you've got to like him, and to admire his courage. How he keeps putting out videos in the middle of being treated for leukemia is beyond me. Go Kevin! You're a good example for us all. I was ranting right along with you as I watched your video today ….

• HoTaters HoTaters

Am wondering if this has begun releasing much more radiation the past 3-5 days. Have had one horrendous sore throat, gastric distress, and nausea for most of the past week. Funky stuff in my lungs. Haven't felt like this since May or so of last year ….

West Coast alert — I'm in SF Bay Area. How are the rest of you in the U.S. feeling? Other locales? The Southern Hemisphere? This is your winter, so I wonder what's headed your way.

• NoMoreBlackout

I know, Kevin is hardcore we need more like him, i just sent him a msg about taking Lypo Vitamin C,there was a kid in New Zealand who had Leukemia and they would give him Vit C IV injections but it didn't totally help and then he took stronger Vit C thru Lypo Vit c and he got healed, so i hope Kevin does the same. btw I bought the stuff you really dont feel it if your healthy but i think everything that can make us more healthy especially with this fukushima disaster will help us. btw you can make this lypo vit c yourself just YT it :)

• arclight arclight

great post ho taters

kevin is a great communicator.. its well worth favouriting his you tube channel!!

• HoTaters HoTaters

Hi Arc, I give him +++'s whenever I can. I don't sign in on YouTube anymore because I disagree with their so called "privacy policy." Maybe they changed the privacy policy intentionally. I just don't know anymore.

• NoMoreBlackout

If worse comes to worse they will abandon the plant, they asked TEPCO in the beginning if they should abandon and Tepco said we'll get back to you and then they said no.

• On the subject of Ecocide

A scary time. However, based on the research I've been doing over the last 15 months (almost completed now), I've honestly concluded that Fukushima is unlikely to wipe out the human race in a short period of time.

I think Joy is right on this.

That doesn't mean it isn't going to kill many, many people in the short term.

But I think that the genetic damage wrought by Fukushima is going to play out over generations.

Who knows when we will become like the film, "Children of Men," unable to reproduce successfully?

Those populations, especially in the northern hemisphere, already suffering DNA mosaicism from accumulated exposure to ionizing radiation and chemicals, will be impacted most directly by fallout.

But I think human life is far from over.

It is not, in my opinion, like On the Beach.

That means that we still have time to try and stop this insanity from culminating in the destruction of all life on earth by – for example – utterly destroying our atmosphere and oceans.

The tipping point is here; but, I think there is still time for humanity if we could just get it right by eliminating greed from our leadership and demanding accountability.

That also means that everyone has to be informed and engaged.

Too much to ask? Maybe so…

• I hope so, Majia. I opted for there still being people in 2052 in my novel, though folks in Oregon, the setting, had dropped from three million to a little over ten thousand badly mosaiced people (rapidly heading for a Stone Age). But even that is sadly optimistic when one thinks of some five hundred spent fuel pools being abandoned in the chaos of a worldwide breakdown.

Be kind to those around you, everyone, as I know you will.

• NoMoreBlackout

Great post, but it's not so much me and you that are gonna suffer, it's the damage to our DNA or your children granchildren whatever who have kids. I used to look at the Chernobyl pics and i just can't anymore because obviously it hurts me but also bacause i want to continue to believe i live in a world that we the people control not the gov't.

• NoNukes NoNukes

majia,

Joy believes that the corium has fissioned out, as she has stated repeatedly. Aerosolized plutonium made it as far as Lithuania, so this is an experiment with few precedents. How much aerosolized plutonium, uranium, etc. is reaching how many people, everyday?

Will the plankton survive the poisoning of the Pacific? Phytoplankton produce about 70% of of our oxygen. How will the on-going releases affect the atmosphere? The beagles they have tested with plutonium since the 1940s haven't fared so well.

I agree that we have no choice but "to try and stop this insanity from culminating in the destruction of all life on earth," no matter what.

JoyB
      March 8, 2012 at 8:00 pm · Reply

The coriums at Daiichi are pretty well "fissioned out" by now.

• Hi No Nukes

I think she recanted on them fissioning out and was worried about them burning through to ocean.

I hope she can post and clarify.

Clearly the coriums are still fissioning

And i agree the situation is apocalyptic when one considers all the tipping points– like phytoplankton, which was plummeting before the disaster.

But I am concerned that people will have no hope for the future and I think people need to believe in a viable future they can strive for.

It is thought that at one point in human history we were reduced to a small population of less than 5,000 people in Southern Africa. We survived.

I still believe in the possibility for sustainable human survival. I have to.

• NoMoreBlackout

Whats sad is the people in Japan are dead walking, they won't die in 1 month but in years. Their gov't never cared about them they only cared about the Japanese Economy and so did the US and Canada and all the major countries of the world.

• Altamira

If this is the beginning of the end, I'd like to take a moment from to recognize Japanese people who have influenced me: Akira Kurosawa, one of the greatest filmmakers; Saburo Teshigawara, one of the greatest contemporary artists; Eiji Okada, the actor in Hiroshima Mon Amour; my 4th grade teacher Miss Kurozumi; Nobu Matsuhisa, father of modern sushi (and the spicy roll ;) ); manga; Shonen Knife; and all US citizens of Japanese descent who endured concentration camps in the US. I pray to Grandmother Earth that we are able to save the children. May Gaia prevail in spite of human idiocy.

• CB CB

I would like to thank ENENews for the medium for us to communicate. It's an honor, and privlidge to be in the presence of sharpest folks in the world. ENE staff, thank you for providing accurate, up to the minute headlines. I can feel your honor, courage, and commitment.

• Altamira

Yes! Thank you Enenews for tuning in immediately following 3/11 and keeping us informed ever since. I am so grateful to your efforts. I should also add a special thanks to Iori Mochizuki of Fukushima Diary who has brought into focus the human side of this ongoing tragedy. He has almost single-handedly revived the tradition of new journalism. Domo arigato!

• HoTaters HoTaters

Ryuichi Sakamoto

• iso-tope iso-tope

Oh Yes typical. UPSes go "out of order" when the BATTERIES ARE DEAD. Were they just running them off batteries and not mains power?
    It wouldn't surprise me one bit if these tardos couldn't even get that right, or switch them out. A primary and Secondary is out. It's unlikely that the pumps failed, clogged maybe, but more than likely the batteries are dead or drained. Not that the whole worlds fate doesn't depend on it, or anything like that. This is beyond moronic… clown factory at meltdown.

• Salemone Salemone

First time comment..long time reader.
    For the life of me, and the world, I cannot comprehend WHY there is no international response to take care of this mess. Do none of the people who could and should be responding have children and grandchildren they care about? Is this grand illusion, this delusion, this ignoring and ignorance so paralyzing, that all of the leaders of the world are immune to the knowledge of what will happen if they do NOTHING? I am appalled. I feel, day by day, that I awaken to a nightmare…that goes on and on. Until one day, very soon, it will be too late. I think my Senator Wyden 'gets it'. I don't think anyone else in a position of power does.

• Max1 Max1

Current status suggests that they'll deal with it later…
      … p.s. Welcome. My sentiments, exactly.

• iso-tope iso-tope

Ditto. It's not reported, talked about or action taken. It's like it doesn't exist. He is one of the only few representatives that wrote letters and tried to bring it to peoples attention.

• Nigwil

So at sometime on the morning of Friday 6 July 2012 the water in Fukushima Spend Fuel Pond #4 could pass boiling point, and the evacuation of the Northern Hemisphere of Earth begins…

At 0.487C per hour in 3 hour steps.
    Date Time Estimated SPF#4 Temp
    2012-07-05 15:00 93.5
    2012-07-05 18:00 94.9
    2012-07-05 21:00 96.4
    2012-07-06 00:00 97.9
    2012-07-06 03:00 99.3
    2012-07-06 06:00 100.8

• I think you are ahead of yourself. Wait a couple more days and see if the problem isn't magically "fixed" by TEPCO. I think it's a PR stunt to provide people with a reason to believe in TEPCO and the "safety" of nuclear power. I could be wrong. Let's wait and see…

• petate

The data sets are indicating that prior to July 10th {ed note: error rate is 3 days plus or
    minus} the tone relative to the [ongoing Fukushima disaster] will change to one of [conflict] and [trouble] just as the [disaster] word shifts within the [public consciousness] over to [catastrophe], or [cataclysm].

PD All the above material is copyrighted

• Max1 Max1

No back-up system in case the back-up system fails…
    … Where should TEPCO have learned about this?
    INSANITY! TEPCO proves it is incapable of rational thought…
    … Instead choosing to set themselves up for failure like this.

Gee, great idea Mr. Tepco…
    … Plug the backup into the main.

• Replacant Replacant

The backup system was duct tape and bubble gum, I guess that must have failed. Interesting aerial video right after the explosions last year.

At time 2:25 is reactor 4 and I never saw this before but the yellow reactor top is on its side like the whole reactor blew/cracked and fell over so with all the work they have been doing is kicking up very radioactive dust without any suppression as this video show how extensive the damage was and how the building had to be highly contaminated.

• flatsville

I recall viewing that overhead video and not being able to make sense of what I was seeing.

I was hoping someone would convert it into a 3-D model so the placement and angles of building features could be viewed as they appeared within the building space post explosion.

Did someone develop a 3-D model scape and I missed it?

• richard richard

You mean, like a Fukushima Daiichi 3D Map

It is playable and is now ready for download (Version 1).

Generated in the Unreal Development Kit, the 3D gaming map is intended as a free educational tool to explore the campus and surrounds of Fukushima Daiichi. It's certainly not 100% accurate though, so please don't expect an epic quality, detailed experience.

The map has been packaged with the UDK into a 270MByte file.

It can run and be installed on a Windows PC. The package contains all that is required (there maybe a Windows DirectX update).

As it is a gaming system, it will have 'bots trying to shot at you by default. You can turn them off in the settings before you start a round.

The download link is …

• flatsville

Thanks much.

When I get to high speed WiFi later today, I will download and install.

Are you aware than anyone else has done something like this?

You would think Tepco or JapGov would have done this…of course, they may have an are holding it from the public.

• mungo mungo

new update from ex-skf about spf4 (UPDATE) TEPCO managed to bypass the UPS and restarted the cooling system at 3:07PM on July 1. At the time of the restart, the temperature of the water inside the Spent Fuel Pool was 42.9 degrees Celsius. TEPCO plans to replace the faulty UPS this week. (From the tweets of another independent journalist who receives TEPCO email.)

• BreadAndButter BreadAndButter

thanks mungo!!

• flatsville

This was my favorite part:

>>>In order to cool the fuel stored in the Spent Fuel Pool, the cooling system draws water from the pool, cools the water and circulates it back into the pool. There are two lines, and TEPCO tried to resume the cooling operation by starting the backup line. However, since both lines use the same UPS, TEPCO couldn't restart the system. TEPCO is planning to bypass the UPS and restart the system.<<<

Brilliant…both cooling lines, primary and back-up, using the same Uninterruptable Power Supply which obviously CAN be interrupted.

Really, does anyone doubt that the people running this operation are idiots???

• mungo mungo

i just hope it is true! good morning to you bnb :-)

• cleverdick

Is SFP4 already collapsed and on fire? Go onto the live cam. What's that bright yellow glow on the right?

• cleverdick

Well let's hope so! But the image has a certain amount of shimmer and haziness, which to me suggests heat and smoke. Of course, I don't know where the camera is pointing so can't be sure exactly what I'm looking at. Could somebody clarify, please?

• This sounds much better. I would be happy to be shown that I have been Chicken Little for now.

• flatsville

Yes. Agreed. "Sounds" much better.

The question still remains — How much more of the quakin' and shakin' can the remnants of the build stand?

Are there any recent photos of what it looks like post recent demolition efforts?

Did I just miss them?

• Cisco Cisco

In the 1959 movie, “On the Beach", the government furnished suicide pills to the elite and some others. I've read "Final Exit", and based on what I've read, there is no pill readily available that will provide a quick and painless death.

I'd be pleased to hear from any of you that have been considering this alternative to a slow and painful life termination from radiation poisoning.

I know this subject is morose; but, if you have not considered it, you are living in a dream world.

Can we have an adult conversation about this?

• flatsville

Cisco,

I think the answer is right in your pic.

If I were a Tepco or JapGov official, I would be concerned that some of my fellow countrymen might choose the "large caliber hand gun pill"…and dispense a few in my direction before they decide to "self medicate."

On an individual basis, we are a long way from that discussion.

• Violence is unnecessary. Let's remember that some monks have demonstrated their ability to "stop their heart" with meditation. I suggest we teach people how to do that before we hand out pills.

• DUDe DisasterInterpretationDissorder

Yes Metamind but i beg to differ , it does not take 20 years of yoga master class to swallow a pil or 20. And there are people no doubt who are already terminally ill from this. I'm in support of selfhelp kits easy to get for everybody that decide the pain has been enough. I keep my stash of meds high (heart condition, sleeping dissorder) just in case. This is not a hypothetical situation, i feel better when prepared about this.