Published: March 15th, 2012 at 8:05 am ET

Title: No cracks or strains seen in suppression chamber of No. 2 reactor at Fukushima plant
Source: The Mainichi Daily News
Date: March 15, 2012

[...] TEPCO employees entered the basement mezzanine of the reactor building at the No. 2 reactor on March 14 and confirmed that the doors to the “torus” could be opened. The maximum level of mid-space radiation in the “torus” was 160 millisierverts per hour. There was contaminated water about 60 centimeters beneath the basement mezzanine, and the level of radiation on the surface of the tainted water was the same as that of the mid-space radiation in the chamber. Part of the reddish brown paint seemed to have come off inside the pressure suppression chamber, and TEPCO said, “That could be because dust piled up, or the color may have changed due to the accident.” [...]

Read the report here

Tepco Press Handout: http://www.tepco.co.jp/en/nu/fukushima-np/images/handouts_120314_01-e.pdf

Published: March 15th, 2012 at 8:05 am ET

1. Asahi: 220 milliSv/hr on TOP level of Unit No. 2 — ‘Puddles’ on floor of reactor ‘believed’ not to be from accident (PHOTO) March 4, 2012
  2. Tepco doubted own projections — Failed to detect ANY coolant water in Reactor 2 — Not surprised they were incorrect January 20, 2012
  3. Where’s the Water in Reactor 2? “Our prediction must have been wrong” says Tepco — Yet camera lens “covered in water droplets” -Asahi January 19, 2012
  4. Yomiuri: Melted fuel might have “cracked due to some shock” or “dropped down and changed shape” at Reactor No. 2, leading to recent temperature spike -Tepco February 8, 2012
  5. Tepco backpedals on No. 2 water level: “Possibly” 2.8 meters of water inside reactor, had been claiming much higher — Now just “quite unlikely” fuel is exposed January 20, 2012

74 comments to Tepco Survey: 160 milliSv/h from water in Reactor No. 2 — Paint color “may have changed due to accident”

• Bobby1

Paint or rust? Iron oxide from melted steel?

• farawayfan farawayfan

Paint also doesn't do so well when molten core melts past it into the earth.

• Nukites

I guess tepco could always sell their waste as paint stripper.

• Whoopie Whoopie

RT @1CaptD Fukushima Anniversary: How Climate Change Endangers Nuclear Safety http://t.co/3rIBChVL via @HuffingtonPost

• Sickputer

So in a year…let's recap…. They opened the outside building doors (remember that long convoluted air filtering charade?)… They killed a robot with a suicide mission… They peeped inside with a handful of suicide workers who somehow come out with less radiation on their dosimeters than people living in Tokyo >;->

What did this prove? They have ZERO first person knowledge of where the coriums reside and what they might be doing. They have practically ZERO control of the first four reactor buildings. Hopefully there is some human control at Units 5, 6 and the Common Spent Fuel building. The Damocles sword over Unit 4 is just one of many scenarios that can drive every worker away and ensure Japan is totally destroyed.

Any you guys at Diet and Tepco think you have a viable future in running the other plants or installing them for the poor innocents in Japan? Isn't it enough you killed your own rice farmers?

Germany is on the right track.. Is anyone else willing to get on The Train to Survival? Or do you want to have children born with holes in their heart? Your choice!

• Whoopie Whoopie

:( After reading HP front page this a.m., I've come away feeling very overwhelmed and depressed. So many big issues facing us today, Daiichi being Number 1, maybe it's a good day to REST. See y'all later :(

• StillJill StillJill

Yes Dear, strong woman,….finally going to rest up from that surgery recently! Good thought!

We all love you so Whoops,…..you REST! K? K! :-)

• Whoopie Whoopie

God I'm a liar. Another Tweet I cant resist before nap http://www.carbonbrief.org/blog/2012/03/after-fukushima-energy-attitutdes-(1) Disqus comments! Leave one!!

• Finch Finch

The Nuclear Power Plant Zwentendor in Austria has the identical construction as Fukushima. But it never was in operation – Austria has no nuclear power by public vote. You can visit it and look inside the reactor, the condensation-chamber and everything. You can make a virtual trip inside the reactor – here is the link
    and then click on "Rundgang" sorry , it is only in German, but some dictionary will help. Then you can also have a look at the condensation-chamber.
    Also, you have an english page:
    but no "Rundgang" there.

• gottagetoffthegrid

if you open the pdf file:

they spent 20mins in Unit 2 but only 8 in unit 3. something must have spooked them.

the reading OUTSIDE the torus room in Unit 2 was 27mSv/hr on average. at unit 3, OUTSIDE the room was 63mSv/hr or more than double unit2. that means inside the unit 3 torus room the measurments would be at least twice unit 2 or 320mSv/hr.

its interesting to note that they were able to measure the dose rate from the surface of the water at both Unit 2 and 3. Unit 2 was 0.6m below the floor/door level. that means the water level is above the floor level at unit 3, otherwise you couldnt get this value without opening the door.

I feel sorry for the poor sap who got the job of pushing the door open with that stick. $100 bucks a day.

• Whoopie Whoopie

Oh shit!!
    Shadyflwrs Red Alert! Dangerous levels of Radiation near California Nuclear Plant! "Japanese guests took their Geiger… http://t.co/oVTlkTQV

• CB CB

Tweeted thanks Woopie! WOW! I wonder if the Pacific current made land fall from Fukushima, entering the water table on the West Coast.

• Whoopie Whoopie

WE ARE SCREWED
        NO MATTER WHICH ONE
        NPP'S WILL KILL US ALL DAMN IT.

• The San Onofre Nuke plant has all those hundreds of leaks in their pipes…. no need for Fukushima radiation to get highreadi gs there. If it WAS the Fukushima radiation it would be spread over a much larger area with relatively "low" levels (lower is not safe, just slower to do its damage ) In this case, assuming the data is correct (and I fear that it IS correct) then the localized and very significantly elevated radiation counts must have come from the shoddy San Onofre nuke plant. Hot new releases coming soon to a nuke plant near you!!!

• BTW I do not mean to suggest that radioactive material from Fukushima is not on that beach. Clearly and irrefutably Fuku particles, gazses, and liquids have circled the globe many times over. The plume was detected in North America in just a matter of days… I just mean that on the beach there must have been a local source as well.

• hbjon hbjon

Tritium is mothers milk compared to the stuff Fuku spewed. And if you can tell me San Onofre has damaged fuel and contaminated coolant that they are dumping, you will need to come up with some proof.

• CB CB

I recommend all people come up with a minimum of a 50 mile escape plan and execute it if able. Educate yourself in urban, wooded, and desert survival.

• CB CB

Understanding the hardships included during evacuation, does the risks outweigh the costs. No immediate threat, but threat there is indeed. Do you trust the authorities? Do you trust rational suggestion? How do I make decisions for myself? Is this logical? Am I delusional in my decision making? How do I know I am making the right move? Am I over reacting? Am I really protecting my family by leaving all I know behind? Starting over, leaving your comfort zone, is it worth it? You are the product of Capitalism, and have been a victim of the greed. It is a system like a tornado, destructive, feeding off YOU. Stand up, step to the front of the line, and let your voice be heard! You have one, right?

• bleep_hits_blades

CB – if as you suggest it is an ELE – well then what the effing use is any kind of 'escape plan'? I tend to agree with you – we are looking at an ELE or something very close to that.

HOW exactly does one 'plan' for something like that? This is not a rhetorical question – I really want to know. I have sons. What am I to tell them, advise them?

• CB CB

A race for the continuance of our species! Were in the same boat, on the same page, yes I agree with you. But throwing in the towel is not an option. We must network, communicate, share knowledge, and try to isolate any further damages. Come together, problem solve, seek unprecedented resources, we must minimize the medical catastrophe. An unacknowledged challenge of biblical proportions is at hand. Man will will have to redefine themselves, and step forward. I have kids, and I know the plate we've given them. But let us not fail them on our watch, but give guidance and encouragement. An all hands muster of collective intelligence. It's here, just unorganized. These are in my opinion the minimum requirements to deal with the current situation. I know of nothing of the sort happening now. Tepco needs to be relieved.

• CB CB

Condemnation is passe right now, focus our attention to solutions, preventative damages. DAMAGE CONTROL. Preventative measures. If Governments don't want to collapse in fear of widespread panic, a new unbiased non government affiliated corporation (of sorts)should be made. All Counties will have to support all resources at their disposal at no cost. It is truly bigger than the Governments, the Elite, The Corporations, Japan alone. It is everyone's problem.

• Whoopie Whoopie

NEW hp ONE #Fukushima: San Onofre Nuclear Plant Probed By The Feds After Radiation Leak http://huff.to/zbcIoa

Oh and I "Screwed The Pooch"
    ('stand by me' movie)
    I JOINED FACEBOOK :(
    What now? I joined because I was told I needed to, in order to join Fukushima 311 FB. Where the hell are THEY? Anyone know or belong to them? A search did not bring that group up. :(

• bleep_hits_blades

Even if this IS an ELE, and I am no expert, certainly, but it looks like it just about has to be that, taking into consideration ALL of the other nuclear problems, the TONS of plutonium and other lethal radionuclides already aerosolized and spewed like the troubles from Pandora's Box into the passively waiting atmosphere/biosphere, the Mickey Mouse SFP storage, the passed-inspection-again decrepit dangerous nuke reactors/plants, the Los Alamos toxic travesty, ditto Hanford (in my beautiful home state) and – well, the list appears to be very long, if not endless.

But even so – even if this IS an ELE or very very close to it – with our DYING BREATH AND EFFORTS – the perps should SWING!

On a planet that might be some kind of universal record-holder for evil leaders and out-to-lunch childlike masses – even here, some kind of justice should and maybe could be served, even at this late date when maybe 'the dye is already cast' for ELE.

Trying to get the masses to wake up and smell the coffee reminds me of that shock-treatement they give to someone lying on the gurney in the ER whose heart has stopped beating… this event is kind of like that… will the 'general public' who collectively are the comatose/unconscious patient on the gurney… will they 'come to life' and look around and maybe start acting like responsible grown-ups instead of frivolous, self-deceiving, mind-controlled robotoids?

Frankly, I doubt it. Their 'programming' is just 'too good.'

• Whoopie Whoopie

GET A ROPE.
      NO SHIT.
      HANG EM HIGH :(

• CB CB

Blades, damn your bringing me down. My intent to encourage solution is hesitant, and likely unsuccessful. Asking someone to step out of their comfort zone is hard. People don't want to ask the hard questions. People don't want responsibility. Like was said here before, we can deny the reality, but we cant deny the consequences. Minimizing the consequences is what I am trying to communicate. Being the Dad isn't always easy. Kids hate me for powdered milk, wife hates the no mushrooms. No spring water here. Are my words just words and no more? Are yours, or CaptD's, Woopies, xdrfox, Tacomagrooves, etc? Brilliant minds here on ENE. This is why I stay on the bench in offtopic. I cannot communicate with the intellect here. But I stepped out of my comfort zone. My main message is corroborate solution, and damage control.

• Misitu

Yes, CB,

The trouble is that all the news is just bringing it more into focus and, as each item comes out, the prognosis hardens.

A friend of mine posted this on facebook,
        "Objects were made, in order to be used;
        "People were made, in order to be loved;
        "The world goes bad, because people are used, and objects are loved"

I'd just like to take that further, reference Joe 6-pack and all the rest of the above.

It might seem that many modern civilisations are in exactly that state, and the financial crashes of recent years are in fact the deadly and unheeded warnings that these civilisations have run out of road.

But everybody [including politicians - democratic leadership if you like] is in denial.

Denial is fine to get you over a rough patch but is not a sustainable long term answer to end-of-tarmac problems.

What I'm trying to touch here is that the difficulty of convincing anyone else that this is the case. This is a problem that most enenewsers experience. I have experienced this in a grossly exaggerated form very close at hand.

It seems the appetite driving people has taken control of them, almost like a sci-fi thriller movie daft as that sounds.

And this applies equally to a global financial crash as to a global nuclear accident.

Now, I don't want to seem pessimistic, but: …

• Misitu

… but there /are/ things that can be done. Time of course limits the options as it passes, but there are still options. Options will reduce sharply if there is another criticality, or fire, at Fukushima-1. Until that time there must be something that can be done. In theory, the best brains in nuclear engineering are available for brainstorming. In practice, what seems to be getting in the way is that they are not doing this, instead wasting time coming up with silly propaganda to protect their way of life and business as if nothing had gone "bang! bang! bang!" on Japan's North East coast a year ago.

So step 1 would seem to be to find a way to get the nuclear geeks out of their bunker and into a room with a couple of whiteboards, internet and a drinks machine vending only black coffee. And don't come out without at least three possible solutions.

Step 2 will be to get some spare geeks working on a machine to map the radioactive corium rubble at great accuracy. It may be that some safer configurations exist such that engineering solutions could reduce the central mass of corium – for example, if it has baked the mudstone into ceramic, which cracks, allowing the corium to expands as tentacles into the cracks. If it's spread out this way then maybe it can be sort of chopped up somehow.

My background strongly suggests that mapping is the real priority and should be started yesterday – as a number of different projects, to eliminate the risk of following a single blind alley, and possibly to synergise some of the different detection methodologies. At the same time, we should also be looking at the long term.

The main thing is how to bang the idiots' heads together until they take responsibility and act with courage and intent.

• CB CB

Agree! A Fucking Zombie movie! I like your systematic approach. Collecting the right people for the job should be fair and well thought out. I think creating many teams, 6 or more per team, separating teams, giving each team the same goal and all data to complete the scenario. Include every field of engineering and senior personnel in each team. I'm talking 100 teams. Give two weeks to conclude best possible answer from each team. Final solutions reviewed by members of each team, then vote for best possible solution. Carry out and implement solution. Same should be done for fallout. I think local greenhouses, personal greenhouses, a must! Isolate the food from the elements. This fucking sucks!

• CB CB

My input would be to build a giant lake around the plant capable of cooling the corium itself and allowing workers
              to remove it by any-means available. Create teams to identify new technology, and create instruments capable of gathering the corium, fuel rods, pellets, etc.

• Misitu

and maybe the spooks reading this site will pass this on to their bosses WHO WILL THEN START DOING SOMETHING SENSIBLE :-)

• CB CB

Part of the solution!

• PhilipUpNorth philipupnorth

Be it an ELE or a near ELE event, an international effort will be required to try to contain Fuku. Auto wrecking yards throughout the Pacific Rim must be recycled into steel pilings to become a cofferdam completely around all four Fuku reactors. Shiploads of rebar must be immediately dispatched from steel plants everywhere to Fuku harbor. Shiploads of cement must be sent in from all parts of the planet. All the nations of the world should now be on a war footing for this effort. No more talk of attacking Iran! The voices of the pro-nuke shills must be drowned out by a clammor for decisive effort to turn back this disaster. All nukes must be shut down right now, permanently. No discussions about who should pay for this effort. The costs of continued inaction on the Fuku Disaster will bring all nations to their knees soon enough. There is little time to act. Build two steel cofferdams 100 yards apart around the four former reactors. The pilings must be driven through rock to well below the depth of the coriums. Remove the material between the cofferdams, put in rebar, and fill with concrete. Continue building this wall to a height well above the reactor buildings. Fill the reactorbuildings with concrete. Dredge the seafloor out to 100 miles for material for more concrete. When the wall reaches sufficiently above the height of the reactors, fill the interior with reinforced concrete. The casket must contain the heat and smoke of the coriums as quickly as possible, while there is still time to get this done. The level of our response must come to match the level of the disaster. No nukes!

• PhilipUpNorth philipupnorth

And the Lord said: "Build me a casket."…

• Whoopie Whoopie

A poster named wind4me at HP:
          "Having worked inside nuclear power plants for 20 years, if the public ever found out the real truth about how USA for profit utilities run nuclear power plants, and the safety issues bypassed daily, they would shut them all down immediately, especially San Onofre, Indian Point, and Diabl Canyon…..all directly on earthquake faults.
          MAKES YA FEEL ALL WARM AND FUZZY INSIDE EH?
          SHUT THEM DOWN!!

• Misitu

Not bad, friend. A bit of detail about the sand, due to the shape of the seabed east of Fukushima-1, but sand can be got. I was just watching a doco about a giant dredger called Cristóbal Colón which can move football fields of sand dozens of times in one day.

Another detail is that corium is a bit "live" and internally goes through all manner of phase changes between solid, liquid, gas and back again, and of course this implies density changes, so we will need a serious kick ass mental concentration on how exactly to stop this going "bang!" in a /really/ big way under its earth heap.

As you say, though, we need to start somewhere and your scheme is I believe more or less sound and at least worth a try.

Thanks for the mental stimulation!

M.

• StillJill StillJill

Many here have left,…or check the site weekly, not hourly anymore. This is not a reflection on the site-IMO,…just what I heard happen along the way. When I first came last April,….some were VERY hip to the possible/probably ELE,…they said, go make merry, fish, swim, travel, make love, etc,…..and they seemed very content to just accept 'it' and make hay, if you will.

Now, 11 months later,…..I personally have flailed my wings up against every cage wall I've seen. Not one person has awoken!

Reminds me of an old George Carlin routeing,….an angry, 'hot head' driver passes you on a double yellow in a curve,…almost kills himself,….and a half a mile later, you're both stopped at the same red light. You get out of your car,…saunter to his car window and knock,…asking him if 'all that back there was worth it'?

I don't know. But,…I do know that when their hair starts to fall out,….or their nose bleeds,…or they get a hot tottie on their face that doesn't go away,…or their child gets diagnosed with leukemia or thyroid cancer–they'll wake up.

• ENENews

Interesting
      Traffic is the highest it's been since last March
      Constant upward trend since last September
      Ranked in the top 18,000 websites in US after being outside top 50,000 for a good portion of last year

• CB CB

Hi StillJill, do you think there will be a tipping point? If so when, and how do you think it might impact your standard of living now?

• What-About-The-Kids

You raise some good questions there, CB. I struggle on a daily basis with the question of whether having everyone be aware of the seriousness of some of these issues is going to actually help make things better…or worse.

For me, I want to do whatever I can to help prevent children from suffering. But there is more than one thing that could bring more suffering than just exposure to hidden radiation. Children need parents who are not so stressed that their family's quality of life suffers even more because of it.

See my point? Trying, as I think perhaps you were in posing those questions to StillJill, to look farther into the future to see possible scenarios of how things could play out for all of us, and most importantly, our children…

Not sure I have any answers yet…and not sure anyone else really, honestly does either. We're entering new, uncharted territory here. I just don't know.

• AFTERSHOCK AFTERSHOCK

@StillJill: posted this the other day, in response to someone else lamenting the lack of interest in this subject:

(March 12, 2012 at 7:52 pm)

@XXXXX: most resist knowing what's going on about them, because they confuse being knowledgeable with having to act on its presence. They'll become so guilty when they know the truth, they'll start raving against and attacking anyone who places it before them. It's a form of infantile behavior; doubtless the result of parental admonishments at the kitchen table…

• bleep_hits_blades

Admin, my thanks, too, for this singular, one of a kind website, and I look at it sometimes and think (non-tecchie that I am), Wow, it must take a whole lot of work to run this website!

My 2 cents worth, you make good decisions here, not too many rules, but the rules you have make sense and are reasonable.

• shiverca shiverca

THey're talking about paint when there was likely at least 1 CHINA SYNDROME already?

OMG we're doomed