(Subscription Only) Title: Worker at Fukushima plant ‘forgot’ to wear dosimeter
Source: AJW by The Asahi Shimbun
Date: August 3, 2012
An employee of a TEPCO subcontractor worked at the crippled Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant on Aug. 3 without wearing a personal dosimeter as required, The Asahi Shimbun has learned.
The worker in question is a man in his 20s working for a second-tier subcontractor. He did piping work on the southwest side of the No. 4 reactor building, a task that TEPCO had assigned to Tokyo Energy and Systems Inc., a TEPCO group company.
the first-tier subcontractor for Tokyo Energy and Systems only borrowed enough dosimeters for its own employees, not those of the second-tier subcontractor.
“I was absent-minded because I haven’t had enough sleep, and I forgot to borrow a dosimeter,” the officials quoted the man as explaining.
According to Shinji Shiina, head of the general affairs division at Tokyo Energy and Systems, the worker in question has worked at the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear plant since June this year. His accumulated radiation dosage level was approaching an in-house limit, so Tokyo Energy and Systems had told him he will no longer be allowed to work at the Fukushima plant from around Aug. 10, Shiina said.
Junichi Matsumoto, acting general director of TEPCO’s Nuclear Power and Plant Siting Division, at a news conference on Aug. 3
- There was a loophole in the safety management system
- The latest revelation constituted a “serious problem” and said there had been similar instances in the past
- The number of past cases has yet to be established
Published: August 4th, 2012 at 3:16 am ET
- “Too Absurd”: Fukushima Nuclear Worker Filmed at Plant for Two Months over Summer (VIDEO) September 19, 2012
- Fukushima Worker: “All sorts of troubles going on in plant”; Officials won’t tell public what really happens — People should worry, it’s not under control — Employees wear disguises over fear of retaliation — Reporter: Tour of plant “was very strange… feels completely dead… not many people” (VIDEO) September 27, 2014
- NHK: One person stops working at Fukushima plant each day — A serious problem, conditions deteriorating (VIDEO) November 27, 2012
- ‘Pacific Wasteland’? Japan Gov’t Scientist: ‘Big problem’ for whole ocean if Fukushima’s water released with strontium-90 — TV: It may not get filtered out; “All bets are off” without way to plug plant leaks — NHK: All decontamination systems stop working, may not restart for “long time” (VIDEO) January 9, 2014
- Tepco “deeply apologizes for mistake” — Admits ‘sprayed’ Fukushima workers actually exposed to 5 times ‘safe’ radiation limit — Radioactive dust to blame, not water spray? (VIDEO) August 12, 2013