Presentation by Tepco Adviser Lake Barrett (Part 2, pg. 20), July 29, 2011: Contaminated Water Accumulating
- Feed & Bleed Core Cooling Flushed Large Amounts of Highly Radioactive Water into Building Basements
- Approximately 30 Million Gallons Now
- Approximately 25 Million Curies [9.25 x 10^17 becquerels or 925 quadrillion Bq]
CNN, Nov. 7, 2013: How do you remove molten fuel in melted down reactors? The radiation levels in reactors 1, 2 and 3 are so high that the area is inaccessible to humans. No one knows for sure where the molten core is resting within the basements of the buildings and how far it has penetrated through their floors. The technology does not exist to remove this molten fuel.
France24, Nov. 13, 2013 (at 6:45 in): The melted fuel [is] deep in the basements of 3 other reactors. Those reactors are still very highly radioactive. Tepco has no idea where the fuel is. So if anything, that’s going to be a much bigger challenge than the fuel rod removal this month.
See also: Nuclear Engineer: Estimated 276 quadrillion Bq of Cs-137 entered Fukushima basements -- Triple Chernobyl total release -- A portion "has already made its way to aquifer, whence it can easily flow into sea"
Published: November 23rd, 2013 at 1:15 am ET
- Tepco Adviser: Fukushima contaminated water ‘problem’ will go on until all 3 molten fuel cores are somehow removed — Company “simply not capable of handling the extremely difficult issue” September 14, 2013
- BBC: Work at Fukushima Unit 4 a “distraction”; The “real nightmare” is coming from 3 molten cores — NYTimes: Melted fuel is “all over the place… First goal is simply to stop uncontrolled releases of radioactive material” (AUDIO) December 7, 2013
- Japan TV ‘News Flash’: Officials fear melted reactor fuel is now exposed at Fukushima — Tepco: We don’t know at this point if fuel is uncovered — Large drop in water level — Experts ‘struggling’ to find condition of nuclear cores, nothing is known for all 3 reactors (VIDEO) June 10, 2014
- Times: “The worst possible result” revealed at Fukushima — Plant Chief: Centuries may pass before humans find a way to deal with molten cores — Top Official: “We have no idea” what to do, “the technology simply doesn’t exist… I can’t say it’s possible” (VIDEOS) April 1, 2015
- Japan Times: Discharges of Fukushima nuclear material into Pacific “have effectively contaminated the sea” — Melted reactor cores will burn again if water not perpetually poured in — “Tepco proposing some of it be dumped into ocean” May 20, 2013