Jiji Press, Nov. 28, 2013: [Tepco] plans to begin work next month at the earliest to remove large chunks of rubble from a spent fuel pool in the No. 3 reactor building, according to officials.
Nuclear Energy Agency, April 2013: Interim and long term roadmap until decommissioning for unit 1 to unit 4 of Fukusahima Daiichi NPS [...] 2013-2020: Study of treatment methods of damaged fuel removed from spent fuel pool
Congressional Briefing Update by Lake Barrett (Now advising Tepco on Fukushima crisis), July 29, 2011: Units 2 & 3 Pools Have Some Damaged Fuel [...] Building Debris In Unit 3 Pool [...] Cesium 137 Levels in 150,000 Bq/ml (150,000,000,000 Bq/m³) [...] Al Rack Corrosion [...] Adding Boric Acid
Testimony of Lake Barrett (Now advising Tepco on Fukushima crisis), U.S. House of Representatives, May 13, 2011: Although information is very sketchy, it seems based on water samples taken, there has been damage to spent fuel that is stored in the Units 2 and 3 spent fuel pools. Information as to what happened in these pools is still unavailable, so it is impossible to determine the significance at this time, but it certainly appears that something of significance occurred.
Report to Science Panel (U.S. Congress) by Lake Barrett (Now advising Tepco on Fukushima crisis), March 19, 2011: [...] I was writing my summary of the situation, then I could not reconcile conflicting data. The more I dug into the available information the more confusing and contradictory it was. In my putting the pieces together, I discovered that there had been several unreported major explosions in Unit 4 that had happened and also an apparent unreported loss of water in the Unit 3 spent fuel pool. [...] It is possible that [Unit 3's] pool may have overheated resulting in a second explosion here also.
More from Barrett: [intlink id="tepco-adviser-925-quadrillion-bq-of-contaminated-water-from-cooling-melted-fukushima-cores-soon-after-311-tv-tepco-has-no-idea-where-the-fuel-is-video" type="post"]Tepco Adviser: 925 quadrillion Bq of contaminated water from trying to cool melted Fukushima cores in first few months after 3/11[/intlink]
Published: December 3rd, 2013 at 10:34 am ET
- Damaged fuel rods are cracked and leaking radioactive gases in Fukushima Unit 4 pool; Wire appears trapped in racks — Another assembly bent when “mishandled during a transfer” November 14, 2013
- Gov’t Report: Criticality suspected to have occurred in Fukushima fuel pool — Nuclear chain reaction after massive explosion at Unit 3 compressed fuel together? Concerned about ‘substantial damage’ to fuel (VIDEO) July 4, 2014
- Gundersen: New data shows Fukushima exceeds Chernobyl… Plumes seen emanating from both the Unit 3 fuel pool & reactor — Nuke Engineer: Broken fuel rods are above all 3 melted down reactors — Gov’t Experts: Unit 3 explosion may have damaged spent fuel & released even more radioactive material (VIDEO) February 9, 2015
- Gundersen: New report shows 50 tons of rubble fell in Unit 3 pool, spent fuel is ‘highly damaged’ — Equal to loaded 18-wheeler falling from sky after supersonic explosive shockwave — “Like a knights lance, [mast] fell straight into fuel” (VIDEO) February 13, 2014
- Nuclear Engineer: Fuel appears damaged in Fukushima Unit 4 pool and will fall apart if they pull it up — Make sure your radiation monitor works so you know what’s going on when something drops (AUDIO) September 6, 2013