Follow-up to: Photos: 'Protection' to be installed over No. 3 fuel pool at Fukushima -- Concern over more debris falling in
Title: Possibility of Debris (Assumed to be the Fuel Handling Machine Mast) Sinking in the Spent Fuel Pool at Debris Removal from the Upper Part of the Unit 3 [...]
Source: Tokyo Electric Power Company
Date: February 8, 2013
Possibility of Debris (Assumed to be the Fuel Handling Machine Mast) Sinking in the Spent Fuel Pool at Debris Removal from the Upper Part of the Unit 3 Reactor Building at Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station
At the steel truss debris removal from the upper part of the spent fuel pool performed on February 6, 2013, the debris assumed to be the fuel handling machine mast* which was present before the steel truss removal was found to be missing in the image taken after the removal work.
On February 7, we judged that there is a possibility that the missing debris has sunk into the pool.
*Fuel handling machine mast: Extendable pole used to lift the grip up and down when moving the fuel assemblies (Length: Approx. 5- 23m, Weight: Approx. 1.5 tons)
Once the preparation is complete, we will investigate the condition of the sunken debris when we perform investigation of the inside of the spent fuel pool utilizing an underwater camera.
Published: February 7th, 2013 at 11:44 pm ET
- Footage of large piece of debris dropping into Fukushima Unit 3 fuel pool during snowstorm (VIDEO) February 10, 2013
- Photos: Large device that fell in Fukushima Unit 3 pool was “found on the fuel rack” — “Apparently narrowly avoided striking and damaging liner” February 13, 2013
- TV: Dam gates ‘shifted’ in Fukushima Unit 3 fuel pool — Damaged by massive piece of falling debris — Concern it could trigger drainage from pool — Tepco: It does not ‘appear’ to be leaking March 30, 2015
- New images of Unit 3 fuel pool show debris near surface, possibly in danger of falling inside — Tepco investigating “condition of steel members partially immersed in pool” (PHOTOS) September 13, 2012
- New images of fallen steel beam atop fuel assemblies in Unit 3 pool — Handles covered in debris, barely visible (PHOTOS) October 5, 2012