Tepco edits ‘photoshopped’ image — Removes original alteration (PHOTO)

Published: September 4th, 2012 at 2:56 pm ET

UPDATED HERE: Tepco: We fabricated part of the photo

The altered area has been cropped out of the new image. See: http://photo.tepco.co.jp/library/20120830_03/120830_28.jpg

See also:

Original:

Close-up of obscured area

Published: September 4th, 2012 at 2:56 pm ET

1. Again: Tepco edits image of Fukushima Unit 4 — Still attempting to hide something at bottom of reactor building (PHOTO) November 29, 2012
  2. Japanese citizens want answers about altered Fukushima photo: “What do you think they were hiding, and why do you think they were hiding it?” (VIDEO) September 4, 2012
  3. Tepco: We fabricated part of the photo September 4, 2012
  4. Tepco Alters Again: “We replaced photo for physical protection of nuclear materials” September 5, 2012
  5. Japan Paper: Malformations in 10% of cotton worms from Fukushima town -Entomologist (PHOTO) August 16, 2012

66 comments to Tepco edits ‘photoshopped’ image — Removes original alteration (PHOTO)

• markww markww

THEY STILL HID the Picture cut it off before the photo shop which looks bad. I BET there are huge cracks and or radiation leakages Mark

• AFTERSHOCK AFTERSHOCK

if this weren't so horrifying, I'd be laughing! Is this their idea of damage control; cropping a badly done touch-up job? Who's advising these people? Better yet…is anybody advising them?

• SnorkY2K

They may have only been where the emissions damaged the camera possibly from white hot discarded fuel assemblies that workers hadn't scrapped for making cars yet. There may also have been a hole there that allowed the viewing of an area, such as a ruptured containment system, that by contract they were not allowed to show.

• TerraHertz TerraHertz

Cataclysmic, I'm pretty sure those 3 photos you linked all show the diagonal mark on the Sth wall of Unit 4 where there used to be a metal staircase attached to the wall.
      I think I remember seeing the staircase still in place, but I don't have time to go hunting for early stage photos showing it.
      The droopy black lines in the photos are cables/pipes, hanging between attachments on the wall. Note that one line of small cables follows the route the staircase used to take.

• moonshellblue moonshellblue

Why hide part of the reactor we know it's tilting and cracked. TEPCO needs to start telling the truth so that experts can lend their advice and knowledge although I think it is a tad late as they should be digging to get underneath the corium but obviously it is too radioactive. What a global catastrophe with no end in sight.

• kalidances

It's code red time for Japan. For the rest of time people will look back at these days that lead to darkness and cry. For those that pray, begin praying unceasingly, and I mean every second of the day. For the spiritual folks, call your angels, cast out, and shine your light. It's time. For the nonreligious folks: network,educate, and stockpile. There will be mass evacuations.
    For the activists it is now to time to get into the streets. Contact Occupy.Contact anonymous. Contact Antisec. For the politically inclined start showing up at your city hall until this is addressed. For the parents in America, get your kids to the doctors-immediately. The to young folks: flashmobs. Lots of flashmobs for Fukushima. For those into entertainment and on twitter, it is time to harass your favorite celebrities. For the antisocial you must do your part as well. Up your time on the internet educating people, shock jock if you have to. Move.

• psylotron

Thw whole building is destroyed so why hiding something? Got to be something really frightenig or some security issue. But really tepco dont care about security, Just cernsorship. OFFTOPIC: Id like to share with you one of my tracks i made in honor of the Fukushima Children. Is called: Children of atom. I hope you don´t consider this as spam http://soundcloud.com/eduardo-enr-quez/psylotron-children-of-atom

• Urban27

there could be some foreign company doing jobs.
    Maybe a machine with a name on it. Or even a person.
    I have seen that all NHK tapes and photos are thoroughly censored.
    So all material we get to see is censored. Even worse – for a long period last year, they were giving out data that was entire false. Data from the units showing normal values, although they had had meltdown and melt-through since long.

• BreadAndButter BreadAndButter

Admin! Wow! Enenews made it to the front page of our most traditional left paper!
    Wowzers ! :-)
    LOOK:

• AFTERSHOCK AFTERSHOCK

…that is cool B&B!

• Centaur Centaur

… but there is a critical error in the last senctence: "Allerdings _befanden_ sich im Obergeschoss hochradioaktive Brennstäbe, die bei einem Einsturz des Gebäudes die Anlage hochgradig _verstrahlt hätten_." should read "Allerdings _befinden_ sich im Obergeschoss hochradioaktive Brennstäbe, die bei einem Einsturz des Gebäudes die Anlage hochgradig _verstrahlen werden_." -.-

• coouurt

I was on the reddit thread about this today and someone posted this: http://exposingthetruth.info/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/fukushima_4.jpg ,
    and someone else: http://photo.tepco.co.jp/library/20120810_01/120810_01.jpg

My best guess is they removed that truck tunnel to bring the crane closer to the SFP. Hopefully I'm wrong, because if this were successful I can't understand why TEPCO wouldn't advertise it, demonstrating that they are in control?

• Sirius

What I really don't understand, is that they already produced the same picture, but photoshopped in a better way. These badly altered pictures makes clear the previously released one was altered as well. How stupid are they? http://i.imgur.com/6iR00.jpg You'll notice, that at the bottom right of the green sprayed building, the rumbles are not the same as on the picture showed in this news. But the wall is almost perfectly altered. Remember that at this place was a truck loading facility. Shouldn't we at least see an opening large enough for a dock at the foot of the temporary lift they installed?

• jedi jedi

WOW we have problem here,What is this picture hiding?
    I say again if a worker dies does anyone call more
    help to pick the body and chance it.of getting more rad.
    they fall and are dumped and pick-up on friday?sorry me bad!

• dosdos dosdos

The no-see-ums can not be seen. Awwww.

It's obvious that you can't get good help in Japan these days. Nuclear disaster cleanup is not the only position that TEPCO is having a rough time filling. Seriously, I was doing a better job of photoshopping back in the early 90's with Photoshop 2.

Pure incompetence. And they lasted how many decades, raking in exorbitant profits, before fate turned around and bit them on the ….?

• lam335 lam335

The headline should say "Removes original alteration … and adds new one" since strategically cropping out unpleasant facts surely counts as "altering" a photo.

But what is the unpleasant fact? If this is the spot where fuel rods landed and got bull-dozed over, then perhaps there's something placed there for extra shielding, and simply some kind of warning sign there to alert workers to minimize the time they spend at that particular spot?

• lam335 lam335

correction:

… something placed there for extra shielding, OR simply some kind of warning sign there to alert workers to minimize the time they spend at that particular spot?

• jedi jedi

Unless it the gate from hell?
    but why hide it?

• Misitu

I examined a video of the robot inspection of (2 or 3 can't remember exactly) last year and found a definite bodge of a sequence of frames obscured by yellow rectangles. I think I published it on the general forum.

I also looked at a recent nuckelchen video of the tepccam where there was what looked like a clumsy frame interpolation.

Frame by frame analysis is revealing. I don't have time right now but I recommend anyone to try it.

It should be possible to nail this with enough forensic evidence. If I have time later this year I'll see what's possible. However, we can be SURE that Tepco have been altering their published images and videos. No doubt in my mind and maybe we should start accumulating the evidence.

Misitu
    Love

• Max1 Max1

There is a reason TEPCO doesn't want to show the demolished loading bay…

• WindorSolarPlease

It makes me think this is worse than I can even imagine.
    Hiding things doesn't make things better.

Reminds me of a little child hiding a cookie behind it's back saying..What cookie??

• Cataclysmic Cataclysmic

"Are you ready for another bombshell? I was digging around in my files {Such a Nighmare!}, looking for shots showing the west wall truck bay opening. I found this little gem. May 26th 012. Have a gander at the base of south wall. Holy Crap! That south wall is severed right off the foundation and free-floating, gang. That white tarp above is covering the spent fuel pool." Rays comments on his photo..

• jec jec

Not to worry..it looks like TEPCO poured a "footing" at the base(sarcasm). Seriously, does any engineer in the world think this it safe and the correct procedure to correct? Note the wall is not straight either..looks like the building has slid a bit..off the foundations..A house of cards….

• jec jec

Explains the "cement trucks"…

• AFTERSHOCK AFTERSHOCK

excellent find Cataclysmic. You can match the set of paint splotches with both edited and the image you've found. I'm thinking the transfer port at the base of the building is what they're 'covering-up'. Combined with your point about the foundation, there's a chance this whole section's collapsing and the reason for the 'white-wash'. Again…good catch…

• omniversling

Great sleuthing enewsers…as a graphic designer and photographer, I'd suggest that is a puddle. Look at the reflection of the corner of the building in the surface. Not even freshly poured concrete would reflect that much…could that be where the water that was sloshing out of SFP4 at the end of this clip, presumably as it boiled, ended up? (the volume that didn't end up in the Pacific, that is)…

Scary video of reactor 4 Fukushima

• kalidances

You do realize that there are cracks in the building and nuclear fuel that cannot be accounted for right? What sort of puddle is it? Is it water that is meant to cool the fuel rods and has instead leaked out in places it isn't supposed to?

• TerraHertz TerraHertz

Good grief. You (and Ray) fail at visual comprehension. That black line running along near the bottom of the wall is some cables or that black Kanaflex piping, hanging between points where it's pinned to the wall. What kind of mental defective can't see that plainly and immediately?
        I'm referring to this: https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/292955_10151150964964921_771809379_n.jpg
        And saved here http://everist.org/archives/Fukushima/Unit4_379_n.jpg, in case you try some photo-switch tricks too.

The excavations near the base of the wall are where they are pouring foundations for the structure they plan to build alongside, to extract the fuel rods from SFP #4.

Why the f. do I find myself seeming to side with TEPCO? It takes some very severe stupidity to make TEPCO look good in comparison.
        And this in a thread where TEPCO are caught lying about their own previous blatant and bumbling photoshop lies, no less. Sheesh.

• Cataclysmic Cataclysmic

LOL..why would anyone try a photoswitch?? that makes you sound like a troll with an agenda.. as I can see your point regarding the black lines running along the bottom.. I can even say that a good majority of that line could very well be that.. not where it widens out..no.. but I don't buy the staircase on the side of the building idea you posted earlier as an explanation for that crack..and I see you did not address the heavy steel planks the machinery is on and other points brought forward, even though you occur to have an answer for many things..

Here at enenews, we have a history of sharing ideas and understanding..we all learn so much from each other, especially in the earlier days, this is best brought about with respectful interaction.. you can't down play this. or the sinkhole.. we are bio accumulating radiation from every direction at this point.. the flowers in my yard were genetically altered, I had almost zero pests/moths the hummingbirds disappeared, so please don't try to convince me that we don't have serious problems.. feel free to share you see something different than what was presented but do not call me a liar, or call me stupid.. or Ray..we are the self trained investigators trying to do our best with information overload and manipulation at every turn, our eyes get tired. We all want the truth, together we will learn it.. not individually. So, if you want the truth try not to alienate people who give of there own time to learn and research and…

• TerraHertz TerraHertz

Here are some photos showing the metal staircase on the south wall of Unit 4, before & after the explosions.
            Unit 2 has a nearly identical stairway on its Sth wall.

After the explosions there's nothing left of the Unit 4 staircase but some mounting brackets, bits of remnant railing or cables, and a line of slight change in the paint color. No 'diagonal crack'.

I found several other photos also showing it, and one 'after' shot that seems like you can see the staircase wreckage on the ground. But it's indistinct, so no point posting it.

The 'heavy steam planks' – are you referring to those the demolition machine is sitting on? Those are there because it's above the open reactor well – and if they weren't there the machine would fall into the water.

If you mean the salt dome sinkhole in the US – I was just trying to make the point the radiation present is probably due to natural geological radiation, except a lot of it released at once due to the stupid brine well drilling. Still think that's a non-issue, unless you happen to live less than a Km from it. And looking at aerial maps, almost no one does.

• Andres Arce Andres Arce

It just seems like a conventional worker-entrance, and the company was concealing some identities quite discretely.
      (standing there seems quite unhealthy, btw, with three holed reactors and one about coming down)

• kalidances

Why would they conceal worker identities now? They have never done it before. The entire country knows the plant is in crisis. Are you suggesting that someone special is entering the plant and Tepco doesn't want anyone to see?

Ridiculous.

• AFTERSHOCK AFTERSHOCK

agreed kalidances. Between the suits and masks, they have no problem controlling the identities of anyone going in or out of these plants. Still, Andres is correct in looking at all the angles…

• Cataclysmic Cataclysmic

Hi Aftershock! I have been studying these photos.. I think the transfer port is still there.. the crane thing is attached in/to it.. when you magnify the pic I posted at 5:23, it occurs that there were minor holes between the transfer port and the attached structure.. I suspect there is no wall there at all and those small holes are actually one big giant hole now, which could be used by workers as an entrance as Andres Arce suggests..? but if you look at the darker green color of Tepco's photo,on the attached building, it suggests radioactive contamination to avoid.. suggesting perhaps high contamination at this area, which could certainly be nuclear flotsam and jetsam.. (I came to the conclusion that the darker the green spray paint, the worse the radiation is, a visual for the workers to avoid, and if you notice, it occurs to have received a new coat of green..)so.. hole in the wall and/or nuclear fuel is being badly photoshopped.. also, maybe photoshopper is bad intentionally, knowing enenewers will see :) doing us a favor… like a big arrow..look here!!!

• Atomfritz Atomfritz

Tepco plan X succeeded.

All people look at the obviously edited photo of the west wall, and whine about absurdities like a (nonexistent) crack on this wall.

And nobody cares anymore for the cracks on the pool wall and pillars visible on earlier photos of and near the statically critical location of photo 10 :)

• ForwardAssist ForwardAssist

Question,

Where does corium go?

Answer,

Anywhere it damn well wants to.

• TerraHertz TerraHertz

I've combined the two relevant photos for easier comparison. Here:

Yes, TEPCO photoshop-erased the access portal for the unit 4 vertical access shaft from their publicly released photo. Then re-released the photo with their crude photoshop chop cropped right off the bottom of the picture.

Bizarre. What are they hiding? What's so significant about that portal?

• pierre

it's just me these days so feel free to ignore , but it's a Hexagram or Pentagram * on the wall – and the reactor lid is a Kippah. it's part of the Satanic Rituals opening to the gates of hell.

what is suspicious is the blatant cover up and the assumption that nothing happens with the control freaks without reason which leads me to speculate. I hope it's just hopeless incompetence and common enough greed.
      if only we the people had some drones to go have a look for ourselves. calling Taxi Drone!

* it looks like a five sided pantagram (rather than a six pointed star).

• crystalwind crystalwind

Between Andres Arce two pix…the seemingly larger pile of debris in front…I don't know how the door or inside near teh door are constructed, but…could something inside have collapsed and the rubble spilled out the door? Pardon dummie me.

• Sickputer

Above this portal is written in Latin, English (for their daddy GE), and Japanese:
    このポータル上には、ラテン語、英語 (そのパパ GE) と日本語で書かれています。

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate

Abandon all hope, ye who enter here

あなたがたは, ここに入力してすべての望みを思い切る

Or maybe Kevin Costner was standing in front of the tunnel getting ready for the sequel Waterworld 2.

または多分ケビン ・ コスナー ウォーターワールド 2 の続編の準備をして、トンネルの前に立っていた。

Surely they aren't scared some terrorists are going to come crashing into the tunnel, but hey… You know they have their other daddy (Uncle Sam) as chief bottlewasher, cook, and spiritual advisor and there is no telling what kind of advice Sammy is dispensing. ;-)

きっと彼ら aren\ ' t いくつかのテロリストを怖がって、トンネルにちょっとクラッシュ来るに行く.彼らが彼らの他のパパ (アンクルサム) 知ってチーフ bottlewasher、料理、精神的なアドバイザーとしていると どのようなアドバイスはサミー調剤です。;-)