Title: TEPCO investigation finds multiple spent fuel pools at Kashiwazaki-Kariwa plant house damaged spent fuel assemblies
Date: Dec 22, 2012
After a Level 1 incident was announced upon the disclosure of two deformed fuel rods which were stick together at the Kashiwazaki-Kariwa nuclear power plant, TEPCO investigated 65 spent fuel assemblies at the Unit 5 spent fuel pool and discovered that 18 of the 65 assemblies were found to be bent.
Of the 65 rods, TEPCO found some where deformation was found in the weaker areas on the lower parts of the rod [...] They also discovered that some of the fuel rods adjacent to the deformed water rods were now touching or closer to one another in the rack.
As a result of inspecting 31 fuel assemblies in Unit 2, part of the 2 spent fuel assembly water rods were found to be bent [...]
Fairewinds Chief Engineer Arnie Gundersen writes in to ENENews:
When the fuel gets too close together, a prompt moderated criticality is possible. I designed nuclear fuel racks and I know how close the tolerances are. This is why I am concerned about Daiichi Unit 3.
See also: Nuclear expert: Powerful explosion at reactor No. 3 may have been from "prompt criticality" in spent fuel pool (VIDEO)
Published: December 23rd, 2012 at 9:41 am ET
- Tepco: Bent rod found in spent fuel pool — Nuclear fuel rods touching — “Serious fuel failure accident” risked at Japan plant December 13, 2012
- Multiple assemblies ‘deformed’ in Fukushima Unit 4 pool — One “bent at a 90-degree angle” — Tepco: Mistake occurred when handling the fuel… 25 years ago November 13, 2013
- Now revealed there’s 80 damaged spent fuel assemblies leaking radioactive materials in Fukushima storage pools — Kyodo: Removal attempt at Unit 4 starts later today — Japan nuclear official ‘nervous’, as one slip could result in monumental chain reaction (AUDIO) November 17, 2013
- UK Newspaper: Multiple sets of fuel rods at Unit 4 reportedly damaged AFTER disaster; Explosions to blame? — AP: “Assemblies and their handles may have been damaged when big pieces of debris fell” November 18, 2013
- Damaged fuel rods are cracked and leaking radioactive gases in Fukushima Unit 4 pool; Wire appears trapped in racks — Another assembly bent when “mishandled during a transfer” November 14, 2013