(Subscription Only) Title: Video shows disorganized response to Fukushima accident
Source: AJW by The Asahi Shimbun
Date: August 7, 2012
In video footage of the teleconference that followed, Yuichi Hayase, a TEPCO adviser who once served as executive vice president, grabs the microphone at TEPCO headquarters and addresses Masao Yoshida, the head of the Fukushima No. 1 plant at the time, and says, “Hey, Yoshida, if you can conduct venting, do it soon, as quickly as you can.”
Akiyoshi Minematsu, a senior official with a background in nuclear energy technology, also expresses concern about the need to vent the reactor core to reduce pressure.
“It would be a disaster if the dry well (in the upper portion of the containment vessel) was destroyed,” Minematsu says. “At least open the valve for the dry well as soon as possible.”
An official reports, “If there is core damage because of continued high pressure, it would only take a few hours before the containment vessel was also damaged.”
The string of bad news leads several executives to bury their faces in their hands, while others sigh.
Published: August 7th, 2012 at 10:34 am ET
- Reporters reveal “blast ruined inside of containment vessel” at Fukushima Unit 4 — Walls ‘destroyed’ — Explosion was ‘believed’ to have been outside reactor (PHOTO) February 12, 2014
- IAEA ***NOT for distribution***: Molten core is suspected to have penetrated Fukushima containment vessel — Prime Minister on 3/11: We couldn’t be in Tokyo if melted fuel went through containment vessel (VIDEO) December 18, 2013
- Green, contaminated water fills bottom of Unit 4 – Removed: Report, photos of destroyed containment vessel interior deleted from website — Reporters: We strongly feel that effort from whole nation is needed to face future at Fukushima (PHOTO) February 13, 2014
- Documentary: Photo captures moment containment vessel destroyed at Fukushima — Workers: White steam is coming out of reactor! Radiation spiking in central Tokyo! — US Nuclear Official: “Fukushima was nuclear power’s finest hour… everything worked as engineered” (VIDEO) October 3, 2014
- Scientist: “The melted core cracked the containment vessel, there really is no containment” at Fukushima reactors (VIDEO) February 25, 2013