(Subscription Only) Title: Japan Utility Says Nuclear Crisis Was Avoidable
Source: Wall St. Journal
Author: PHRED DVORAK
Date: October 12, 2012, 12:54 p.m. ET
In a stunning reversal, the operator of Japan’s Fukushima Daiichi power plant admitted for the first time Friday that it had made errors of judgment that contributed to one of the world’s worst nuclear accidents last year.
[Tecpo] said in a report that the company failed to adequately prepare for a disaster and that it knew it wasn’t prepared, and yet it did nothing, out of fear for the economic and social consequences.
“There was a worry that if the company were to implement a severe-accident response plan, it would spur anxiety throughout the country and in the community where the plant is sited, and lend momentum to the antinuclear movement,” said the report, explaining what it described as the “underlying reasons” Tepco didn’t have a good plan for such accidents. [...]
The report represents a shift in stance for Tepco, which had continued to maintain it had done its best to prevent an accident from happening—despite repeated criticism from government and private-sector panels that studied events. [...]
Published: October 12th, 2012 at 2:34 pm ET
- Top Japan Nuke Expert Admits: “Nuclear experts have remained silent” after Fukushima — Blames “remorse over not having been able to prevent accident” September 21, 2012
- ABC Tours Fukushima Plant: This could go on for centuries, and some say problems can never be fixed; “Tepco admits it doesn’t know extent of meltdowns” — Official: We don’t know ‘real situation’ of the molten fuel, “nobody has seen it”; We need help from the world (VIDEO) February 19, 2015
- Fukushima woman poured gasoline over body and set self on fire — Family blames Tepco May 10, 2012
- Report: Anti-nuclear blogger’s home raided by police — Computer equipment seized (VIDEO) November 15, 2012
- After recent ‘lies’, Japan PM admits help needed to contain Fukushima disaster — Senior official warns of ‘new problems’ to come at plant October 6, 2013