Title: Fukushima recovery aided by SRS cleanup technology
Source: The Augusta Chronicle
Author: Rob Pavey
Date: Jan. 15, 2013
[...] Even after almost two years of nonstop cleanup work, managing the flow of water contaminated with radiation continues to be one of site’s most significant challenges, [Masumi Ishikawa, TEPCO’s general manager for radioactive fuel management] said.
“We are still seeing leakage,” he said. “That is an important challenge we must meet.”
Maintaining the essential flow of cooling water to the melted reactors, he said, has been complicated by the need to remove and treat contaminated groundwater that has seeped into the reactor areas since the March 2011 earthquake and tsunami.
[...] Ishikawa said the plant site will almost certainly play some sort of role in the future.
“Our new prime minister explicitly has said, Japan’s revitalization will not happen without the revitalization of Fukushima Dai-ichi,” he said.
See also: 'Impermeable wall' between leaking Fukushima reactors and ocean yet to be built -- Tepco still working on silt fence (PHOTO)
Published: January 15th, 2013 at 10:54 pm ET
- Kyodo News: Extremely contaminated water is seeping into Pacific Ocean from trench under Fukushima Reactor No. 2 turbine building — Tepco: We believe it’s staying within the pit July 27, 2013
- Tepco Official: Fukushima Daiichi is on ocean and groundwater is close to surface — A ‘daunting challenge’ to keep radioactive material from spreading? January 18, 2013
- Record levels of radioactive material detected at Fukushima — 600,000 Bq/liter in groundwater — Official: May be seeping from reactors into ocean July 8, 2013
- Japan Official: Fukushima reactor buildings could “topple” — Tepco’s work to change flow of groundwater can form pools below surface that soften the earth August 6, 2013
- Japan TV: “And now concerns are growing… a new source of leakage” at Fukushima; “The situation could become even more serious” — Groundwater Expert: “I doubt even experts could have imagined” this (VIDEO) February 11, 2014