Title: TEPCO says no damage to spent fuel at Fukushima
Date: Friday, February 10, 2012 20:37 +0900 (JST)
[... Tepco] on Friday released video of the storage pool at the No.4 reactor building taken by an underwater camera the previous day.
The utility says the footage shows debris fell onto the rack containing the fuel rods but apparently caused no damage. Visibility in the pool is reportedly about 5 meters. [...]
The No.4 reactor was offline and had no active fuel when a powerful earthquake and tsunami disabled the plant on March 11th last year.
But a hydrogen explosion blew off the reactor’s roof and sent wreckage into the pool, making it difficult to assess conditions inside.
Read the report here
Recent news about Spent Fuel Pool No. 4
- Fukushima chief was pleading for help from U.S. military: "Fire's broken out at Reactor 4... We can’t do anything... please" -- Leader turned pale after seeing flames and black smoke near fuel pool -- Worker tries to have last meal before dying and realizes he's unable to taste food (648) September 30, 2014
- Accident in Reactor 3 fuel pool at Fukushima -- Large piece of wreckage falls nearby spent uranium rods -- M5 quake hits plant soon after -- Official: "Unable to say" whether any are damaged (PHOTOS & VIDEO) (184) August 29, 2014
- NHK: Alarm goes off after accident at Fukushima Unit 4 fuel pool -- Work suspended after crane trouble -- "Workers have been monitoring radiation levels" (VIDEO) (222) March 26, 2014
- Reporters reveal "blast ruined inside of containment vessel" at Fukushima Unit 4 -- Walls 'destroyed' -- Explosion was 'believed' to have been outside reactor (PHOTO) (70) February 12, 2014
- Nuclear Professors: Every engineer is really scared about fuel removal at Unit 4 -- I advised gov't to be ready to use explosives to collapse pool after 3/11 (VIDEOS) (89) November 26, 2013
- Source: First try to remove spent fuel from Unit 4 could be next week -- Nuclear Engineer: Everyone's nervous about pulling out used rods that are corroding; Will zircoloy tubes break and spill fuel pellets, leading to a criticality? (AUDIO) (194) November 23, 2013
- Nuclear Engineer: New cover on Unit 4 can trap hydrogen gas during criticality in fuel pool -- Blast would be close to a nuclear explosion, from a practical standpoint (AUDIO) (57) November 22, 2013
- Damaged fuel rods are cracked and leaking radioactive gases in Fukushima Unit 4 pool; Wire appears trapped in racks -- Another assembly bent when "mishandled during a transfer" (53) November 14, 2013
Published: February 10th, 2012 at 9:31 am ET