SOURCE: Thyroid gland irregularities found in young evacuees from Fukushima, Kyodo, October 4, 2011
Hormonal and other irregularities were detected in the thyroid glands of 10 out of 130 children evacuated from Fukushima Prefecture, a Nagano Prefecture-based charity dedicated to aid for the victims of the 1986 Chernobyl nuclear accident said Tuesday. [...]
- 1 child was found to have a lower-than-normal thyroid hormone level.
- 7 had thyroid stimulation hormone levels higher than the norm.
- 2 were diagnosed with slightly high blood concentrations of a protein called thyroglobulin, possibly caused by damage to their thyroid glands.
Point of Origin
- 6 were from outside the evacuation zone
- 3 had lived within 20km no-go zone
- 1 in the 30km zone
Information about blood tests
- Age: Less than 1 year, up through 16
- When: For about a month through the end of August
- Location: In Chino, Nagano
h/t Anonymous tips
Published: October 4th, 2011 at 9:11 pm ET