Title: Japan: Why the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Plant’s Cleanup Is Faltering
Author: Bryan Walsh
Date: May 01, 2013
Honestly, if the consequences weren’t potentially so dire, the ongoing struggles to clean up the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant in northern Japan would be the stuff of comedy. [...] I’m not sure things could be much worse if Wile E. Coyote were TEPCO’s CEO.
But it’s not funny, not really, because the consequences of the meltdown and TEPCO’s mismanagement are very real. [...] More than two years after the tsunami, TEPCO is still racing against time — and just barely staying ahead.
[...] the fact that the company is still running the Fukushima cleanup seems like a worse idea with each passing day.
[...] As the groundwater debacle demonstrates, TEPCO has been making things up as it goes along since the beginning — and the Japanese government has let them.
[...] And while Japan is unique, collusion between the tightly closed nuclear industry and the government elsewhere isn’t.
More from Time’s Bryan Walsh: Time.com: Fukushima dangers "may not be as grave as we first feared" -- Only 10 people surveyed had high levels of radiation, says study -- Only 10% of Chernobyl release
Published: May 1st, 2013 at 11:54 am ET
- Cesium near Fukushima reported to be many times higher than claimed by Tepco — Levels rising further away from plant — Professor: After quake as big as last week there’s concern about stuff breaking and leakage getting worse October 29, 2013
- Media now exposing Fukushima cover-up: “So many terrible things are not being reported” — Official radiation figures cannot be trusted — Regulator suspects Tepco giving false data — Problems much worse than officials claim August 22, 2013
- Forecast shows Fukushima to get eye wall of Typhoon Wipha — Weather Channel: Things may be getting worse at plant; Storm surge to combine with inland flooding at site (VIDEO) October 15, 2013
- “Very chilling warning” from Japan expert who foretold Fukushima meltdowns: “The Gods are warning us of something even more serious… incredibly disastrous” — Professor: Suddenly, our sun is doing very strange things… Crisis much worse than Carrington Event possible… Most unstable period since ice age, I’m very concerned about nuclear plants (VIDEO) May 26, 2015
- *Experts on Fukushima Unit 4* CNBC: “Far from under control, could get a lot worse” – Japan Times: “Could very quickly get much worse” – CNN: “Could still get a lot worse” — “Tokyo, Yokohama, even neighboring countries at serious risk” (VIDEO) August 30, 2013