Excerpts from: Sinkhole to be seen in 3-D
Author: Xerxes Wilson
Date: January 19, 2013
Caption: “Flooding from heavy rains mix the swamp with the 9-acre hole.” (See photo here)
[...] “There are many things that are still a mystery,” said John Boudreaux, Assumption Parish Office of Emergency Preparedness director. [...]
“There is the possibility that there are other void spaces in the ground,” Boudreaux said.
These void spaces could eventually lead to the sinkhole growing or another hole as the failed cavern fills completely in.
“We don’t know for sure yet, that is the issue,” Boudreaux said. [...]
HoumaToday published this report early in the morning of Jan. 19, several hours before today’s ‘growth event’
Published: January 19th, 2013 at 10:06 pm ET
- Radio: Official says giant sinkhole “is showing signs it may not be finished growing and it may grow an additional amount” January 22, 2013
- TV: Giant sinkhole continues to grow, 3 acres in past week — Governor: Obvious oil sheen on top (VIDEO) March 20, 2013
- “Domino Effect” below giant sinkhole? Officials concerned about stability of rest of salt dome — Failed cavern may affect other caverns January 20, 2013
- CBS News: Giant Louisiana sinkhole could continue to grow for years to come -Company Official (VIDEO) May 5, 2013
- Louisiana sinkhole now 24 acres — Officials issue cease and desist order after gas found “approaching explosive level” coming from hole in front of homes July 21, 2013