Top Headline: DAM LIES — Nuclear whistleblowers blast NRC for cover up (PHOTO)

Published: December 4th, 2012 at 3:10 am ET

Title: Nuclear Power Whistleblowers Charge Federal Regulators With Favoring Secrecy Over Safety
Source: Huffington Post
Author: Tom Zeller Jr.
Date: Dec. 4, 2012
h/t Anonymous tip

Richard H. Perkins and Larry Criscione are precise and formal men with more than 20 years of combined government and military service. Perkins held posts at the Department of Energy and the National Nuclear Security Administration before joining the Nuclear Regulatory Commission’s Division of Risk Analysis in 2008. Criscione landed at the agency a year later, after five years aboard the USS Georgia as a submarine warfare officer.

Now both men are also reluctant whistleblowers, stepping out publicly to accuse the NRC of being both disconcertingly sluggish and inappropriately secretive about severe — and in one case, potentially catastrophic — flood risks at nuclear plants that sit downstream from large dams. [...]

In a letter sent in September 2008, the [Duke Energy] insisted that “there is no evidence to suggest that a Jocassee Dam failure is credible.” NRC officials made clear that they did not agree with that assessment, and in a 2009 response to Duke’s letter, the agency again laid out its concerns. Among them:

• That the [Oconee nuclear] plant’s critical safety equipment is protected from floods only to a height of 5 feet.
  • That Duke’s own analysis from 1992 showed flood heights from a failure of the Jocassee Dam ranging between 12 and 17 feet.
  • That Duke’s calculations of the odds of a Jocassee Dam failure were low “by an order of magnitude.”

[...] Duke has acknowledged that, given a Jocassee Dam failure with subsequent site inundation, all three Oconee units will go to core damage; that is given a dam failure, the conditional core damage probability is 1.0 [meaning "core damage will certainly occur"].

Published: December 4th, 2012 at 3:10 am ET

1. NRC Engineers Charge Gov’t Coverup — Reactor melt down an “absolute certainty” if dam fails — 100s of times more likely than tsunami that hit Fukushima September 17, 2012
  2. “Total Hell”: Family’s drinking water bubbling like champagne — US gov’t involved in cover-up? (PHOTO) January 16, 2013
  3. “Stone-cold evidence that earthquake testing at US plants has been faked” — MORE: “Four nervous whistleblowers ready to tell their horror stories” August 7, 2011
  4. Top Expert on Indiana Blast: “It looks like methane” … “Military ammo dropped from a plane would cause similar damage” — Company: No evidence of leak in gas lines November 15, 2012
  5. U.S. tried fracking for gas using nuclear bombs — Engineer: “I think it’s awesome” — Drilling to now be allowed within half-mile of blast site? (VIDEO) November 14, 2012

40 comments to Top Headline: DAM LIES — Nuclear whistleblowers blast NRC for cover up (PHOTO)

• gr81 gr81

So why doesn't he just say that the dam break is a CERTAIN, triple ELE event??

• Radio VicFromOregon

"A major flaw in our system of government, and even in industry, is the latitude to do less than is necessary. Too often officials are willing to accept and adapt to situations they know to be wrong. The tendency is to downplay problems instead of actively trying to correct them".

Good excerpt from the article.

• bmurr bmurr

I live on the shore line in Connecticut. We recently experience power outages as a result of Sandy, and the whole time this storm was going on, all we would hear about is how they were shutting down power transfer stations to prevent damage in the event of a surge of water.

It reminded me of this picture I had seen. If a home owner can build a wall around the house to protect it form water rising on the Mississippi river, why can't multi billion dollar companies build walls around nuclear power plants, and power sub stations, to prevent damage to them in the event of a flood?

• PurpleRain PurpleRain

EXCELLENT article! I am so proud of those men for stepping up to tell and share the truth. ~

• PurpleRain PurpleRain

Didn't Duane Arnold experience some kind of near-flood emergency situation a couple years back too? Maybe 2007? I'm not sure if my memory serves me or not.

• Corporate greed, captured regulators.

Of course, the real problem with nuclear is not the technology (which stinks to high heaven), but the fact that humans are involved in managing the technology.

That guarantees failure after failure, and we just can't afford that on our HOME PLANET>

• Isotope Isotope

The NRC has an Inspector General

Wonder if this has been brought to his attention?

"Office of the Inspector General
    Inspector General: Hubert Bell
    Deputy Inspector General: David Lee

The Inspector General (IG) provides leadership and policy direction in conducting audits and investigations designed to promote economy, efficiency, and effectiveness within the NRC, and to prevent and detect fraud, waste, abuse and mismanagement in agency programs and operations. The IG recommends corrective actions to be taken, reports on progress made in implementing those actions, and reports criminal matters to the Department of Justice. The IG analyzes and comments on the impact of existing and proposed legislation and regulations on the economy and efficiency of NRC programs and operations, and the prevention and detection of fraud, waste, abuse and mismanagement. The IG keeps the Chairman and Congress informed of serious issues and concerns related to NRC programs and operations."

• jec jec

Those guys don;t get into trouble with the US Administration. A recent, and new EXECUTIVE MEMORANDUM from President Obama makes people who disclose information, whistleblowers, in trouble if considered "national security.."-or for other guidelines. Now once the wording is used in an arrest, Judicial a a arrest is possible without any recourse.Scary. Read this:

Basically..the 'whistleblowers' could get into trouble if they go outside the "chain of government" to alert the US public. Just depends on the "wording". But I am not an expert, just reading the information as it is posted. Would take a guru to read all of this stuff. So take this for what it reads in the Memo. Hope those guys are not impacted. Guess depends on what the government wants to say…so am reading again the Bill of Rights..just in case. And hope I dont get into trouble for posting my comments which are allowed under my rights as a US citizen…

• EVERYBODY, need your advice. Using an idea that Maggie123 came up with I've decided to print up sheets with 3" x 5" information sheets about fukushima. Take a look a the text file. Is there a better way to say something, or anything that should be added or subtracted? These will be cut into 3 x 5" sheets, printed on yellow paper , folded ove once, and left everywhere I can get to… Walmart, pharmacies, autoparts stores, hospitals, bulletin boards, etc.

Here is a link to the text file:

Thanks Everyone :)

• No % signs … just spaces

/Private/On March 11.rtf

• First link DOES work… not sure why it is displayed that way :)

• Maggie123

JHewes76 – Well done! I like your message! (Highlighted link worked fine).

I'm far from the ideal person to offer editing comments. I tend to write as if I'm talking – long sentences, qualifying words and statements, convoluted routes and substantial side-trips between opening and conclusion!

We each have 4 'vocabulary sets' – reading, writing (similar but not exact matches) — speaking, hearing. (Again – similar but not exactly so.)

I'm trying to imagine reader spectrum.
          **Typical news-reading level in US is not high, (grade 6?)
          **Text message users read in hyper-mind state? Prefer slogans, key words, and/or bullet points?
          **Non-text message users comfortable with less truncated speech, (may even prefer it?)

Next message has some thoughts. :)

• Maggie123

Here are a few tips that might be useful, (I often try to use these with my own stuff depending on imagined audience, venue, etc..\)

—Bullet points not necessary or ideal in this project for imagined reader range.
            —Consider deleting 'the' a few places and see how it reads.
            —Consider simplifying where possible, (reading level).
            —Some readers won't have computers.

Thoughts of possible changes:

"On March 11, 2011 an earthquake & tsunami struck Japan, causing total meltdown of 3 reactors at the Fukushima-Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant."

“Since that time” = “Since then”?

“has been constantly released” = “is constantly released” (present tense – ongoing)

“have been found in fish” = “are found in fish” (ongoing)

“Radioactivity travels by air currents and weather patterns. It has reached the shores of America's West Coast, and continues its spread.” ('America' carries image and personalizes?)

“Very little or nothing can be done to “fix” this situation. Oddly, the mainstream media (TV & Radio) are silent about this ongoing disaster. It important to get the word out. Please… google “fukushima” or go to youtube.com and search “fukushima”. Or ask someone with a computer to do this for you."

(end of thoughts on changes)

(This makes me nervous! I don't like playing authority! :) )

• Maggie123

JHewes76 – You *will* save a changed file under new name, won't you, so that your first stays intact?

I omitted 'citizens' for possibly over-complicated reasons.
              –for this purpose, you actually don't care if reader is citizen or not.
              –because many readers aren't accustomed to regularly using/hearing 'citizen', the word may have subtle effects – vague 'strangeness'.
              –'citizen' can carry a secondary agenda? The wish to 'nudge' or remind reader of an unfamiliar identity? (I say this after a few years of intentionally using 'citizen' due to my own 'secondary agenda' to get people off 'consumer'!) :)
              –If there's a 'secondary agenda' this project may not be best place to try to fit it in. You want to stick strictly to the single message?

(I'm known for "over-complicated" thinking – which is one reason I get nervous playing 'editor'! :) )

• Maggie123

JHewes76 – I agree with Amberlight – 'please' isn't necessary, request is more direct without it.

Wonder how you're feeling about flood of ideas? Lots of support and experience!

Truth is, I'm fairly lazy with some projects so points 1-2 cover how I imagined myself doing something like this, especially since I visualized making up 'quite a few':
                1. My variation was slogan, or single sentence message – smaller slips, maybe 0.5"x3-4" – easier to 'accidentally' scatter about, not too many in any one establishment. It's also why I figured I needed a large urban location, not small community – or to be traveling!
                2. I planned to leave slogan-strips in all sorts of 'accidental discovery' places, hoping not to be seen by any floor managers at all! Bathrooms, grocery dry good shelves, window sills at cafes – one here, one there, 'casually' left like someone might do with a small shopping list. (But I scrapped idea of in pockets of clothes on racks – seemed a bit much!)
                3. I much like your variation – informs on specific issue and how to learn more.
                4. Your idea is well-suited to more design than my slogans – so your color idea and/or visual as suggested (either way) should help your effort pay off.
                5. BTW – I think your centered text looks good! Could throw return for 'god bless you' on 1 line.

You're going to wish you'd not asked! :)

• @Maggie123, I like the ideas :-) I thought the 3×5 yellow folded over would play to peoples natural curiosity, and they would have to look. Also folded over will be easier to carry in pocket, hide in palm, and slip onto a shelf while I am shopping. I thought strips of paper could be mistaken for trash?

• @Maggie, is this better? :

On March 11, 2011 an earthquake & tsunami struck Japan, ultimately causing the total meltdown of 3 reactors at the Fukushima-Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant.
                  Since then, radioactivity is being constantly released – into the air and sea. High levels of Plutonium and other radioactive by-products have been found in fish caught in the Pacific Ocean. Radioactivity travels with air currents and weather patterns and has already reached the shores of America’s West Coast, and is spreading. It appears that little to nothing can be done to “fix” this situation, and it is important to get the word out. Oddly, the mainstream media (TV & Radio) have been silent about this ongoing disaster. Google “fukushima”, go to youtube.com and search “fukushima”… or ask someone with a computer to help you. Tell your friends and family. Spread the word. Learn before it’s too late.
                  God Bless you.

• Maggie123

JHewes76 – I'm short of time but my guess is it's absolutely fine! Quick look – seems you've revised to what should work very well (as we can only hope!)

Caught only this "Radioactivity travels with air currents and weather patterns and has already reached the shores of America’s West Coast, and is spreading."

could be: Radioactivity travels with air currents and weather patterns. It has already reached the shores of America’s West Coast, and is spreading. (eliminates an 'and')

or could be: "Radioactivity travels with air currents and weather patterns. Radioactivity has already reached the shores of America’s West Coast, and is spreading." (holds onto 'radioactivity' – more punch than 'it'.)

Comes a time when production is the next step! :)

Was going to mention title of Wallace Steven's poem: "Thirteen Ways of Looking at a Blackbird". I use the title as a proverb when I want to get going beyond revision. :)

BTW – caught your mention of depression. I've danced with it most of my life. Don't know that Steven's poem is a help – but its' certainly lovely and even has a hint of 'editing indecision'! (verse 5).

• Atomfritz Atomfritz

What you propose is grassroots work.
      Keep this good work up! This was the way how Germany got anti-nuclear.

• amberlight amberlight

JHewes, thanks for your positive energy. I've done this sort of thing myself with different political and environmental issues. I leave a little pile of them where people pass by or congregate, but in places where management is likely to chuck them I just leave 2 or 3 in the hopes that the control freaks who think it is their duty to protect the public from such subversive information will get a clue! There are some places where you might get permission to leave some on the counter. For this issue, health food stores and naturopath clinics might be amenable.

I would cut back on the verbiage. Like you and Maggie, I tend to use full sentences and explain things in detail, so after I have composed my tome I edit the text mercilessly. (For instance, no need to say "please google" or "go to." Just the links are enough to inform.) I agree with Maggie about the verb tense and also the use of the word "citizen."

I strongly suggest that you include a striking visual to catch people's attention. Your message is competing with too many others out there and it looks too much like all the other "couch for sale" or "lost dog" postings on bulletin boards. For the BBs in particular, you might want to print each on a full sheet and add a fringe of tear-off tabs with Internet links.

Thank you for your outreach JHewes!

• sayonara kitty sayonara kitty

link not working for me

• eatliesndie eatliesndie

DAM LIES!? eat them and die – NRC

• Atomfritz Atomfritz

It looks like that we really need some more spectacular accidents before sheeple awake.

Duke knew of this problem at least since 1996, if not from the 1960s.
    It's basically nothing different like willfully placing the Fuku plant in a tsunami-prone area, like Tepco did.

Three Oconee reactors blowing up, and falling out on the US East Coast would be a very, very good thing, as this would strengthen the anti-nuclear sentiment.

• richard richard

hi Atomfritz, if you want a spectacular to get the sheeple's attention, TEPCO should just actually try and 'repair' or 'decommission' fuku-d.

watch as the media and tepco try to hide the deaths and despair as workers try in vain to survive radiation sickness in order to disassemble a raging monster.

watch as busloads of people arrive daily, ready to sacrifice their body on the process line of 'decommissioning' fuku-d. look into their eyes as they face their last few days on Earth, trying to save it and all it contains.

the hospitals and morgues may get over-run if someone at tepco actually to some steps to solve the problem.

in the meantime, the longer they postpone doing anything, the more the sheeple forget. If tepco can stall for a few years, everyone will forget how deadly and dangerous nukes are.

if they entomb fuku-d for a hundred years, then no-one will know they damage they have wrought, and the nuke industry will continue on it's merry way, creating death and doom for all the futures of life on Earth.

Fritz, we don't need another nuke disaster, we just need to current disaster to run it's true course.

• rakingmuck

JHewes76

Great idea. I am sure others, like myself, in other cities would join the effort once they hear back from you the reaction. Probably get those cards printed for free!

• You guys are great! "It takes a village" Thanks for the input and good vibes :)

• Ron

The favorite trio of words of the nukers, "there's no evidence".

They want others to prove a negative, the many ways failure can occur so they can then shoot them down one by one, when in fact the onus is, or should be, on THE INDUSTRY, to prove that their nuclear contraptions are failsafe.

These guys are nothing if not clever.