Guardian, March 12, 2013 (h/t Anonymous tip): Russia is considering proposals to establish nuclear explosives in space to combat meteorites. [...] Oleg Shubin, director of the state nuclear agency Rosatom, claims such an undertaking could take about a year to implement.
AFP: A senior official from Russia’s nuclear agency Rosatom told the same conference that taking out an asteroid with a nuclear weapon would require a bomb with a force of at least one megaton. “Intercepting an asteroid of a span of more than one kilometre would need the use of nuclear material of the power of over a megaton,” said Oleg Shubin, the deputy director of the department of nuclear munitions experiments at Rosatom. “This is a separate scientific task that needs to be solved,” he added.
Wired UK: Oleg Shubin, deputy director of the state nuclear agency’s munitions experiments division, also said: “Intercepting an asteroid of a span of more than one kilometre would need the use of nuclear material of the power of over a megaton. This is a separate scientific task that needs to be solved. In the foreseeable future I cannot see any other danger that would lead — at the very least — to the disintegration of human civilisation.”
Published: March 13th, 2013 at 8:41 am ET
- NASA: Russian meteor was actually a “tiny asteroid” — Believed to be from belt between Mars and Jupiter February 15, 2013
- Neil deGrasse Tyson: What do you mean how likely is an asteroid impact in U.S.? We just saw Russia! — CNN: When a scientist says ‘pray’ you know you’re in trouble (VIDEO) March 25, 2013
- Water with nuclear fuel coming up from ocean floor off Fukushima coast? Tokyo Professor: 156 quadrillion Bq of Cs-137 once in basements — Double Chernobyl; Getting close to total fallout from every atomic bomb test in history — May be outputting from seeps in seafloor, I don’t know (VIDEO) August 26, 2013
- US Gov’t: Radioactive material from reactors is 2 billion times more toxic than industrial poisons — Harm caused by nuclear disaster “greater than for any work of man” other than atomic bomb — Top Expert: Radiation “like explosions going off in cell… blows hole in DNA” (VIDEO) February 28, 2015
- Updates: Video reveals strange blasts during ‘meteorite rain’ over Russia — Explosions in lower atmosphere — Over 500 reported injured — Only hours before asteroid due to make close flyby February 15, 2013