Published: August 22nd, 2014 at 1:57 am ET

The Herald Palladium, Aug. 20, 2014 (emphasis added): Fukushima ‘a very sobering place’ — Cook chief paints bleak picture of site [...] Larry Weber, chief nuclear officer at the Donald C. Cook Nuclear Plant… visited the six-unit Fukushima Daiichi… “It’s a very sobering place,” said Weber, one of a number of American nuclear officers who visited… The U.S. nuclear industry learns from problems [and] responded to Fukushima by changing thinking about disasters and accidents so that any possibility is considered, Weber said.

First Energy’s Chief Nuclear Officer Peter Sena discusses recent trip to Fukushima: Why are we here, what did we learn, what did we see? I start back with the basic fundamentals of being in this business — what we do is raise the standards of living for millions of people across the country… We may not be heart surgeons, but without us, heart surgery is not possible. And we do it in an environmentally clean manner. That’s important to me because I consider myself an environmentalist. It’s a legacy that we’re leaving for our children and our children’s children, a green planet. But this past week… I got to see the dark side of nuclear power. It was sad for me because I’m a firm believer in what nuclear power can do… abandoned homes, abandoned schools, abandoned storefronts… it’s emotional because I believe in this product. I saw TEPCO executives having to apologize… for the pain that they’ve inflicted. These are lives that have been impacted forever, and these are innocent lives – children… My children live within the evacuation zone of the Beaver Valley power plant. I can never put myself in a situation that I have to apologize to my friends and neighbors that they can never go home again. I need to relay this message to all 3,000 of my workers… We should always have safety in the forefront… This is no longer just a business, it’s now personal.

Eric Leeds, NRC’s Director of Nuclear Reactor Regulation, Mar. 13, 2014: I wanted to offer a few personal insights from what I found to be a profound experience… Tomioka… is now empty, uninhabitable because of radiological contamination… Thinking about the people who, for all this time, have lost their homes, lost their jobs, and lost their community leaves me feeling sick to my stomach… When we reached the site… it struck me that everyone was wearing full anti-Cs, respirators, and helmets. It left me with an eerie feeling, as if I were in a science fiction movie… I am more convinced than ever that the Fukushima lessons learned we are requiring the industry to implement are critical… We are… responsible for protecting the American public. It’s our job. For me, it’s personal. It’s what I’m here to do.

How ‘personal’ have ‘lessons learned’ from Fukushima been taken by US nuclear officials?

Law360, June 4, 2014: [Senator] Slams Tardy NRC Response To Fukushima Report [calling it a] “scandalous” response to a staff report on the 2011 Fukushima Daiichi reactor meltdown [-- The NRC has] yet to require U.S. nuclear plant operators to implement a single recommendation… 12 recommendations for improving the safety of U.S. nuclear plants [were issued in July 2011]… the commission at the time had promised to act on within 90 days and fully implement within five years… But the NRC… has not yet required nuclear plant operators to implement even a single one… with some plants still not meeting even the standards that were required before the disaster, Boxer said. “This is unacceptable, this delay, and it puts the safety of the American people at risk,” she said.

Watch Sena describe his Fukushima experience here

Published: August 22nd, 2014 at 1:57 am ET

1. “Like a Science Fiction Movie”: Bizarre deaths after radiation exposure at US nuclear site — My whole family’s dead; Mom eaten up by tumors everywhere, could see them growing; Dad had masses suddenly erupt all over; Brother died at birth — Incredible number of colleagues killed by cancer, 2-3% alive (VIDEO) September 19, 2014
  2. Report: Hope that Louisiana sinkhole could be contained now gone forever after berm collapse — Sobering comparison photos (VIDEO) June 9, 2013
  3. Mystery: Starfish turn to ‘slime’ along Pacific coast — “We’re talking about a loss of millions and millions” — Compared to medieval ‘Black Death’ — Innards become exposed and fall apart — Cases ballooning in Alaska (VIDEO) November 7, 2013
  4. CBS News: U.S. nuclear waste leak a “major emergency problem” — Most dangerous substances known to science — “A ticking time bomb” (VIDEO) February 26, 2013
  5. Michael Moore: Thank you so much for making pro-nuclear movie — What a risky, brave idea — France doesn’t seem to have problems with it — I hear ‘Solar and wind are not going to save us’ — I’m concerned about statements by environmental groups against nuclear power (VIDEO) December 15, 2013

160 comments to Top US Nuclear Officials Visit Fukushima: “The pain they’ve inflicted… innocent lives impacted forever… children” — “Sick to my stomach… as if I were in a science fiction movie” — “Very sobering” — “We raise the standard of living for millions… without us, heart surgery isn’t possible” (VIDEO)

• obewanspeaks obewanspeaks

There may be a third..people who do not care and do nothing as the murder spree continues on/forward. :(

• Dick Shenary

The big problem is these people who have drunk the nuclear cool-aid have no place to go for support with their delusions. The entire world needs a new organization called the Nuclear Power Anonymous Association (NPAA). Under this banner, support groups would spring up to aid all those who still believe that nuclear power is necessary and makes heart surgery possible. Meetings could begin with individual deluded people stepping forth to state " Hello, I'm Biggie Van Muck and I am a nuclaholic." Thunderous applause follows.

• humptydumpty humptydumpty

The AA program (from Wikipedia):
      * admitting that one cannot control one's addiction or compulsion;
      * recognizing a higher power that can give strength;
      * examining past errors with the help of a sponsor (experienced member);
      * making amends for these errors;
      * learning to live a new life with a new code of behavior;
      * helping others who suffer from the same addictions or compulsions.

Looks to me like they're either wanting more or just hiding the bottle. The notion of "improving safety" is a bird that's flown.

• Evacuation: not a curse but a blessing, you fools! that was the spin this time: how horrible it is to have to evacuate. i still think jaczko — Gregory B. Jaczko, the B is for Bela — should go on tour. he visited Fuku, had a change of heart — also going as far as to say that people shouldn't have to leave their homes.

i guess that's their flimsy justification for, after 3/11 & supposed lessons learned, *reducing* the planned evacuation zone in the US, in the event of severe nuclear power plant 'event,' TO ONLY TWO MILES.

that's right, you heard me. two miles.

everyone else is instructed to shelter in place.

from
    http://femalefaust.blogspot.com/2012/05/us-nuclear-incident-emergency-planning.html :

"They're saying, 'If there's no way to evacuate, then we won't,'" Phillip Musegaas, a lawyer with the environmental group Riverkeeper, said of the stronger emphasis on taking shelter at home."….Changes that went into effect last December (2011) were the first since TMI…..

(i suppose somebody from the gov'mint will be by shortly to deliver potassium iodide and …. wait, what else can help? … water filters and dosimeters.

(and body bags? no, that's too harsh. and waivers for you to sign that say you will not sue.)

at the link

• wait! they *did* get more prepared, at US nuke plants! guess how? Drills, yes. guess what kind.

hah. i won't spoil it. its a hoot.

(answer at
    http://femalefaust.blogspot.com/2012/05/us-nuclear-incident-emergency-planning.html )

• Nick

Just try and visit any nuclear facility in the US to protest the nuclear lies.
    You will be tracked. If you agitate the masses too much, beware.

'Pentagon Funds New Program To Track And Kill Activists'
    "But, they say, inherent flaws in the program are instead likely to facilitate the criminalization of political dissent and the targeting of innocent civilians – and that such trends are increasingly likely to affect not just “hostile theatres” abroad, but even domestic populations in the U.S., Britain and Europe."

Scary times.

• dunkilo

Our DC tick-puppets are trying to get us in another war in Libya..
    think its a done deal …
    distraction after distraction

• name999 name999

dunkilo, I think it could be international paramilitary within the US. The greatest threat in US is within the country. When these paramilitary forces penetrate our military and law enforcement, it is hard for elected officials to have the power to stop them.

This is why I am convinced that a coup d'etat has happened first in Reagan pres. and then Bush.

• name999 name999

furthermore, I am quite convinced that Foley was murdered by forces that are within US authority. But not the executive branch on this.

They want to get rid of Obama because he is in their way. They want another coup d 'etat and are now getting more vicious because there are many within the Obama admin who are loyal and protective.

Because they aren't really very smart, just brutal and wealthy. And weapons makers.

Lethal combo.

• melting mermaid melting mermaid

Exactly a year to the day after chemical attacks in Syria,when a war weary US population told Washington "are you effing insane?" when they wanted to invade Syria, a General decides, the only way to deal with ISIS in Iraq, while according to some accounts is led by an Israeli Mossad agent, using American weapons and in retaliation for a US reporter being killed by a British Jihadist we have to invade Syria, because if at once you don't succeed, try, try again. Anybody see a pattern here, because I don't? What's in Syria they want so bad? I'm sure there's no mercenaries or neocons involved, that would be crazy to suggest such a thing, perhaps I'll go tighten my tinfoil hat or glue some more sandpaper to my walls.

• name999 name999

melting, all I know is that Syria has played an important role in covert operations
            for many years. Decades, many.

• melting mermaid melting mermaid

All I know is when mercenaries have too much power, you have banana republics. We are very close to being a banana republic. I don't want to be one nation, under Blackwater, with indignity and justice for the person with the biggest gun. That sucks, as I'm a pacifist. I don't mean to jump the gun or anything but why don't we reinvoke the Constitution, that would be peachy keen I think. And the Bill of Rights and Habeous Corpus, while we're at it. Where's the constitutional police, like in Girl with a Dragon Tattoo? My eighth grade history teacher is probably rolling in her grave. All this black opS and private armies and corporate wars, it overwhelming when you start to think about it, which is probably why people don't. I think we need to make a concerted effort to stop Washington from dropping bombs on anyone, personally. The only thing that needs containment more than a molten core is the military industrial complex, some things should never be privitized.

• StPaulScout StPaulScout

"what we do is raise the standards of living for millions of people across the country… We may not be heart surgeons, but without us, heart surgery is not possible. And we do it in an environmentally clean manner. "

Who ever said this is insane.

• amberlight amberlight

"The U.S. nuclear industry learns from problems [and] responded to Fukushima by changing thinking about disasters and accidents so that any possibility is considered, Weber said."

Yeah, any possibility except for the obvious: Shut the death traps down and prohibit the building of any more!

These guys are "ex-spurts" but the light bulb hasn't switched on yet that it is impossible to prevent nuclear releases from cooling, refueling, waste storage, human error, mechanical breakdown, sabotage, forces of nature and major solar events. In other words, we and the environment we live in are under constant radiation bombardment and at risk for far greater than even Fukushima has inflicted so far.

• BethR BethR

I would like to know how in the HELL someone has the nerve to actually say/believe that HEART SURGERY wouldn't be possible without nuclear power. What???

• name999 name999

this is pathological spell check, "Beth, do you just tear it out…like love?

• EKO LOGIK DEKLINE

here's an advertising campaign to go with your acting…

Nuclear power '' THERE'S NO LIMIT''

You could buy this music video, because your good at buying things….

''LET ME HEAR YERRR SAY YEAHHHH''

• razzz razzz

Dr. Mousseau has been around as I run across his paperwork occasionally. Seems to be a bit more comfortable with his position as more and more studies come out adding to the data base, at least publicly.

Normally these types of scientific minds get jumped on for not taking a stand or not being more aggressive in their attitudes. Like Arnie G., trying to remain impartial in a scientific position esp. being an expert witness, with all things nuclear is almost impossible.

The results of radiation poisoning is undeniable and any radiation is a poison.

• EKO LOGIK DEKLINE

The atomic corporations have no heart, have no fear, have no morals, have no shame.

Gods to themselves, as such are set for destruction. If we don't do it, nature will!

Those who get personal with nature always fail because nature cannot tollerate lying frauds. A deceptive heart is always detected by natures inventor.

Watch as your unbelieving atomic eyes are opened.

Have a nice day.

• Ron

What I want to know is, what took these people sooo long to voice their concern? Is this possibly a PR stunt to make it LOOK like they care when all along the nukers have been so silent, and worse, lying about the disaster?

• DebbyS-AbqNM DebbyS-AbqNM

"It was sad for me because I’m a firm believer in what nuclear power can do". Well, we *know* what nuclear power can do, the proof is obvious to those not blinded by a belief system (or well paid to support that system). Mr. Believer, please meet Reality, it may shock you and may even wake you up.