Court order sought to stop restart of reactors
NHK WORLD English
Jul. 12, 2012
A trial hearing has begun in a lawsuit filed by residents seeking a court order to stop the restart of a nuclear plant in Niigata Prefecture, central Japan.
The 132 plaintiffs are asking a district court in the prefecture to stop Tokyo Electric Power Company’s plan to restart the Kashiwazaki Kariwa plant by March 2014.
The plaintiffs say the Niigata plant is in an area that has been hit by repeated powerful earthquakes and is prone to liquefaction.
The Niigata plant has seven reactors. Four are offline for regular safety checks and three are shut down.
Soil liquefaction describes a phenomenon whereby a saturated soil substantially loses strength and stiffness in response to an applied stress, usually earthquake shaking or other sudden change in stress condition, causing it to behave like a liquid.
Although the effects of liquefaction have been long understood, it was more thoroughly brought to the attention of engineers after the 1964 Niigata earthquake and 1964 Alaska earthquake.
Published: July 12th, 2012 at 6:02 pm ET
- Asahi: “Officials scuffle with audience members” (PHOTO) — Entire gov’t to be mobilized for Oi nuke plant restart — Strong likelihood Japan could have no nuclear reactors in operation if locals don’t approve — Mayor clearly opposes restart March 24, 2012
- Saikado Hantai! outside Ooi nuke plant: Taking up only road into reactors — Non-stop powerful protest for many hours in rain (VIDEO) June 30, 2012
- Anonymous Official: Part of ground to sink beneath Fukushima reactors from ice wall being built — Gov’t: Biggest fear is ground sinkage and buildings being destabilized — Tepco: It will sink up to 16mm, but should be ok — Scientist: “People have lost confidence in Tepco” (AUDIO) May 27, 2014
- 6 hours until Japan’s final nuclear plant shuts down — NHK: “No prospect of a restart of any of the country’s 50 commercial reactors” (VIDEO) May 4, 2012
- All nuclear power in Japan may come to a halt — Gov’t failing in effort to restart Oi reactors before final plant shut down — Chances “remote” says Edano April 15, 2012