Mainichi, Dec. 3, 2013: [Tepco] said on Dec. 2 that it has detected radioactive materials that topped 36,000 times the permissible level in underground water [...] strontium-90 and other radioactive substances that emit beta rays were detected at a level of 1.1 million becquerels per liter (1.1 billion Bq/m³) [...] east of the No. 2 reactor, about 40 meters from the ocean. [...] It has been feared that highly contaminated water is leaking to the ground from a trench that stretches from the No. 2 reactor building to the sea bank. The radioactive isotope detected this time suggests the possibility of radioactive materials remaining outside the trench. [...]
Arirang News, Dec. 3, 2013: The Japanese media on Tuesday reported an all-time high radiation level in an observation well at the crippled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant. [...] 1.1 million becquerels of beta ray-emitting radioactive material had been detected per liter [...] more than the previous record-high of 910-thousand becquerels per liter detected on November 25th.
Jiji Press, Nov. 28, 2013: TEPCO Puts Off Tainted Groundwater Removal at Fukushima Plant [...] a shortage of water storage tanks has forced it to postpone removal of contaminated groundwater at its crippled Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power station. The postponement would allow radioactive groundwater to continue to flow beyond soil hardened with chemicals between the No. 2 and No. 3 reactors and into the sea.
Published: December 3rd, 2013 at 11:59 am ET
- NHK Top Story: New highly radioactive leak at Fukushima — Believed to be draining into Pacific Ocean — 200,000 Bq/liter of strontium and other beta-ray emitters (VIDEO) October 2, 2013
- Bloomberg: ‘Highly radioactive’ leak at Fukushima Unit 3 — NHK: Melted fuel coolant thought to be flowing from containment vessel for ‘unknown reason’ — 24 Million Bq/liter of strontium, other beta emitters (VIDEO) January 20, 2014
- Asahi: Radioactive contamination ‘soaring’ in Fukushima groundwater — Strontium and other beta emitters up 4,500% in recent days; Cesium rises nearly 1,500% — Tepco says it doesn’t know why levels spiked (VIDEO) August 6, 2013
- Record-high 10 Million Bq/liter of strontium-90 & beta emitters finally revealed in Fukushima plant groundwater — 1,000% more than Tepco has claimed for last 6 months February 6, 2014
- TV: “Extremely high levels of radioactive substances” leaked Wednesday night at Fukushima plant — 25 trillion becquerels of Strontium-90 and other beta emitters estimated to have flowed out — “Investigation is still underway” (VIDEO) February 19, 2014